Bv202 NF1 MKIi

Ak_muskeg

Good afternoon all, 

I'm not sure I'm posting in the correct section. Anyway, here's my question. I picked up a Bv202 Nf1 here in the US. It was a former British owned vehicle. I am currently restoring it. Sanding the top coat of paint off, I came across the symbols on the tailgate and am looking to identify them. One symbol a wedge shape with a orange dagger in it. Also blue and orange squares With a white stripe between them. Also it was hard to identify, but I'm thinking it was the letters SAQ across the back. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you 

Don

20180309_143934.jpg

20180309_144941.jpg

The red commando dagger on the black shield is the formation sign of 3 Commando Brigade, Royal Marines.  The other sign red and blue split vertically is the arm of service sign with the white line being a figure 1.  What the 1 stands for is the key to identifying the unit the vehicle was actually owned by but, unfortunately, I can't help there as I don't know which numbers 3 Cdo Bde used for its units.at that time.  But, there must be a Royal on here somewhere who can tell you.

10 68

Dear Ak-Muskeg, do you have a name mate?

There is one of these up the road at a nice collection if you ever want to visit or email their mechanic, not sure where in the US you are located.

Do you know the military vehicle registration number for it? Any more pictures? It could always possibly have gone to the Falklands campaign / war.

Pictures would be very good btw!

Sorry, thought I put my name in. The names Don Potter. 

I'm located in Alaska, but get to do a bit of traveling in the lower 48 states. I didn't know about a collection in North America, I would like to visit it at some point and talk to their mechanic. Where at is the collection, do you have any contact info for them? I'm not sure what the military registration number would entail. I've got the original license plates 31GX87 and the Factory Serial #. 

Ive been wondering if it had been to the Falklands campaign/ war. 

20171110_123101.jpg

20170515_193229.jpg

20170515_193242.jpg

DON  31 GX 87 is the british military registration number of your BV 202 you can get a copy of your vehicle history  by making a freedom of information request by e- mail to cio-foi@mod.uk  it cost nothing we had 31 GX 23  another BV 202

REGARDS WALLY

Edited by wally dugan

Wally beat me to it, the answers can be disappointing at times so while a positive answer is nice I don't believe them sometimes. I was told one of my former wide track trailers was something else yet the data plate on the vehicle was mint and they said it had never left Germany after initial issue yet it was released here in Canada, go figure.

There was a change from a manual card system to a computer based system which Wally has plenty of knowledge of, heaps of cards were binned and data was lost.

I would suggest that the BV202 has been released long enough ago that there may be nothing on the freedom of information request. Sometimes you get lucky.

The logistics in the Falklands campaign was critical and everything that was available was used to it's fullest capacity. There are new images from that theatre of conflict surfacing all the time. Here are two pictures from the web with apologies to the un named photographers.

One shows a single axle trailer more usually drawn by Land Rovers being hauled behind a BV202 and another showing casualties being moved by them to a waiting Westland Scout.

Drop me an email Don (hit the tab within my profile on my name) and I will connect you with him.  

falklands bv202 sankey.jpg

falklands bv202.jpg

Edited by robin craig

DON 

JUST afoot note to ROBIN's comments if the FOI comes back with little or no information the 419B history card should be with the  ROYAL LOGISTIC MUSEUM at DEEPCUT this history card will have the early history of your BV 2O2 if it was not transferred on to computer at a later date it was with me up to 2003 with all the history cards of the BV 202

REGARDS WALLY

• 2 months later...