Towing when under SORN

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the oil pump had failed the oil light would have lit up before the engine cut out. The fact that the camshaft will rotate 4 times (which presumably equates to 2 turns of the crankshaft) strongly suggests a problem with the valve train.

Try taking off the rocker shaft and remove the pushrods - keep them in order by pushing them through a piece of cardboard and number them. Turn the engine over on the starting handle. If it still locks up the problem is probably with the camshaft/followers. If it now turns freely the problem lies with the valves. A dropped or broken valve could jam the engine if the combustion chamber is small enough, I suppose, but logic suggests it would lock up on one rotation of the crankshaft.

8 hours ago, mike30841 said:

Try taking off the rocker shaft and remove the pushrods - keep them in order by pushing them through a piece of cardboard and number them. Turn the engine over on the starting handle. If it still locks up the problem is probably with the camshaft/followers. If it now turns freely the problem lies with the valves. A dropped or broken valve could jam the engine if the combustion chamber is small enough, I suppose, but logic suggests it would lock up on one rotation of the crankshaft.

Many thanks, just need to get time and help from the mechanic

8 hours ago, mike30841 said:

If the oil pump had failed the oil light would have lit up before the engine cut out. The fact that the camshaft will rotate 4 times (which presumably equates to 2 turns of the crankshaft) strongly suggests a problem with the valve train.

I need to go back and re-read all this thread and the similar thread concerning this engine alone (this is more the vehicle recovery to home base).  My understanding is that it is the crankshaft that you can rotate almost 4 times (in other words not quite a full cycle).

Thanks for the reminder , confirm is - almost 4 turns of camshaft (not crankshaft).  Brain dead just now with sinus infection , can't stay in house popping Paracetamol , may as well kill myself converting pallets into Micky Mouse concrete shuttering ,  now if it were on my drive - I would have to sockets & spanners out in preference  LoL

5 hours ago, ruxy said:

Thanks for the reminder , confirm is - almost 4 turns of camshaft (not crankshaft).  Brain dead just now with sinus infection , can't stay in house popping Paracetamol , may as well kill myself converting pallets into Micky Mouse concrete shuttering ,  now if it were on my drive - I would have to sockets & spanners out in preference  LoL

Thanks, the coffee and bacon butties are ready, lol will call him tomorrow as he is doing Mother's day

Edited by Surveyor
additional info

41mm   , daft size to a Imperialist - but correct for std. 25mm dia. fixing ,  blame so called 'fully metricated'   Series 3 engines,  originally the thread in end of cranks were 1" Whit.  So  -  crankshaft turns is the best clue,  bated breath wait !

2"  overnight here.  Today is a easy day ,  yesterday  'I started so I will finish'  - it stopped snowing - so I started concreting ,  bit of a % increase in cement thinking it will generate a bit more heat if freezing overnight.  First barrow load I was in a horizontal snow blizard from the east and was still in it when tamping off  ,  but at least I got it covered at dusk - mid-Weirddale  in spring LoL  ,    son 1 had to return from Staveley  via. Tebay/Carlisle / Hexham then A68 -  as A66 closed.   I again told him - more like I recall every winter long before you were born - you have still to see snow in the UK.

Saw a clip on BBC yesterday of Exmoor sign post for Wheddon Cros sburied up to the top. Yep! Been there seen that, in 1978. Ridng a 16 hand horse up the side of Dunckery Beacon, looking down from horseback,  idily wondering what the green blobs in the snow where. Top of the railings at the side of the road.

Just heading up the road past Inverkeithing and over took a scarp car lorry, it had a full load on the bed and was towing one which front end was undrivable, did have the plates of the lorry on it, so that makes me wonder if we have some one know if they have an exemption for this