Towing when under SORN

It looks as though I may have to arrange to transport my Land Rover to a Mechanic with a garage.

The vehicle has a valid MoT and insurance.

I have a question;

1. Can I tow it behind a vehicle when under SORN, the rear will have the number plate and lights of the towing vehicle

If this is mot possible I will have to arrange a flat bed

Thanks in advance

Richard

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Google on the words  SORN + tow dolly ,  you will meet the chestnuts of transportation / recovery.  I have a proper braked dolly (as well as a pair of proper 3 te transporters) , dolly is far safer, far better than a bar or rope.  You will come across all the self-appointed experts stating what the  BIG  house at Swansea have to say on the subject.  Unfortunately I can't vouch for the veracity of anything stated.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

11 hours ago, cosrec said:

Its a broken down vehicle  full stop use what ever method  you want

Regarding towing with a rope, I practice the following:-

Only the minimum distance to a place where it is safe to park the vehicle.

Not on a motorway.

From the RAC  (https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/what-does-sorn-mean/ )

Can I drive my car with a SORN to a garage for an MOT?

Yes, you will be able to drive the car to a garage for an MOT appointment - even with a SORN in place.

However, it's important that the MOT has been booked because if are stopped en route by police and questioned, you can explain the situation and the garage can verify your appointment.

Be warned - you can only drive a vehicle with a SORN on a public road to attend a pre-booked MOT, or another testing appointment. In any other circumstances, driving a SORN vehicle on the road risks a maximum fine of £2,500.

30 minutes ago, john1950 said:

There has got to be a way around the problem without spending loads of money. How far have you got with disassembly? Is the head off or just the rocker cover.

I didn't do the work and wasn't available, to see, the thread on that is Camshaft woes.

My understand he has taken a cover off, yup I'm a mechanical idiot but learning, and says the push rods and rockers okay, therefore deeper inside the block.

The thought is a con rod but not definite, I am on an open drive with no cover or kit to lift bits out, gravel drive

Richard

1 hour ago, Surveyor said:

Just got a response from the Police it is required to be carried not towed, rats and a few other words comes into mind

Are such as a county police force a competent body to give a definative  ?

Different forces could give different opinions.

Much still needs to be tested in a court of law.

DVLA ,  Swansea  - are they actually civil servants ,  if not then what authority do they retain ?

-----------------------------

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/a-frames-and-dollies/a-frames-and-dollies

The DfT  -  still civil servants ,  try and communicate on such matters and you will be at a supervisory level the same as one of my sons (not a Dept. motor related) , don't expect any joy.   

A few years ago I tested out the  DfT  ,  by asking questions on points of law, also asked for full details of their performance testing of BRAKED dollies on which they base their replies on  -  zilch to date. Next time I intend to make good use of a  FOI     Again - only a court of law can give a ruling on what parliament / Sec. of state signing Regulations off intended.

Edited by ruxy

All the bits are liftable and not really heavy, the sun will come out at some stage. If it was a conrod there would probably be a hole in the block. If it is a big end problem it more than likely would not turn, so if you are not in a hurry to repair it be curious.

4 hours ago, john1950 said:

All the bits are liftable and not really heavy, the sun will come out at some stage. If it was a conrod there would probably be a hole in the block. If it is a big end problem it more than likely would not turn, so if you are not in a hurry to repair it be curious.

John

The camshaft turns about 4, compression is heard and no signs of holes in the block, as its a Tithonous and of the 3 models which were modified to this standard only 1,200 I am keen to rebuild the engine in order to keep authenticity, yes have a few other bots to do but engine first

Richard

6 hours ago, Surveyor said:

Just got a response from the Police it is required to be carried not towed, rats and a few other words comes into mind

Guess what the police do  if they come across untaxed sorned vehicle that right they have it towed away by a local recovery agent no stipulation about how its done unless it has mechanical issues that affect it

Yes ,  ISTR   12J   early 2.5na (but not inc. Sherpa version) , same as civilian , only modification you may find is the metal REME cyclone to stop oil soaking the paper element air filter - causing destruction run-on worst case situation ISTR

11J  (later military spec. but using 19J block with oil passage for turbo) - same as civvy.

However , ISTR that there is just one difference military to civvy engines and that is the Bosch fuel injection pump,  IIRC it is a subtle difference that allows switching over to aviation kero, 28 sec. burning oil , cherry or whatever.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

On 5 March 2018 at 4:00 PM, ruxy said:

Are such as a county police force a competent body to give a definative  ?

Different forces could give different opinions.

Much still needs to be tested in a court of law.

DVLA ,  Swansea  - are they actually civil servants ,  if not then what authority do they retain ?

-----------------------------

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/a-frames-and-dollies/a-frames-and-dollies

The DfT  -  still civil servants ,  try and communicate on such matters and you will be at a supervisory level the same as one of my sons (not a Dept. motor related) , don't expect any joy.   

A few years ago I tested out the  DfT  ,  by asking questions on points of law, also asked for full details of their performance testing of BRAKED dollies on which they base their replies on  -  zilch to date. Next time I intend to make good use of a  FOI     Again - only a court of law can give a ruling on what parliament / Sec. of state signing Regulations off intended.

Be all that as it may and whatever actually proves to be definitive, don't forget that it will be the police and/or the DVLA who decide whether to prosecute you if you get caught, so best to go with their advice unless you want to be the person who actually tests this in a court of law. Even if decided in your favour, the cost of hiring a flatbed would seem like small change compared to a court case....

I'm with "MatchFuzee" on this one.