Spare wheel for NCRS Signals trailer (6.70R13 tyre)

Dear All

Ages ago I posted looking for a spare wheel for my NCRS box trailer (see: http://hmvf.co.uk/topic/35307-spare-670r13-wheel-for-ncrs-trailer/ ) 

I have managed to get a wheel that matches but the tyre that came with it is significantly lower profile and I really need the right one so the towbar height is correct (and I would have to change all 4 plus get a spare of the new size at even greater expense ... ) . There were few (probably less than 100) NCRS box trailers ever made so I can't believe it is the only thing that uses this wheel and tyre - does anyone know what they came from as that might give me some more ideas where to look ?

Regards

Iain

• 4 months later...

I haven't needed to fix the brakes yet (apart from freeing them after the handbrake was left on over a winter) - I believe based on my search for tyres (which is ongoing) that the wheels and tyres are of a type used by smaller Bedford vans in the 1970s which may be the best chance.

Regards

Iain

The Chassis certainly looks like the Arrows chassis. The metal wheels and rims themselves aren't that rare - Ifor Williams agricultural trailers used them among others - the challenge I have found (with two failed e-bay purchases that turned out too small to show for it!) is that the tyres fitted are considerably taller than the ones on the civilian trailers and the tow ring height will be wrong if I change all of them !

Iain

• Like 1

Using Blockley Radial Tyres as an example for the nearest radial to the 6.50 x 13 tyre. Blockley information from this link:-

Tyre size        Section Width      Overall Diameter         
185/70R 13     7.48                          23.23

Your Current Tyre:-

Tyre size        Section Width      Overall Diameter         
6.50 x 13          6.50                         23.4

Rim width does effect section width but not does not have much if any impact on the overall diameter, more information here:-

A potential problem is that the radial tyre maybe too wide for the rim.

I hope, that this helps rather than confuses you.

It is a 6.70R13XCA tyre on the NCRS trailer - I tried 185x70R13C and it is about an inch below the top of the existing tyre, standing an unloaded wheel and tyre beside one on the trailer - so it will be a bigger difference under load.  The rims on the wheel that came with the 185x70R13 were about 1/2" wider than the ones on the trailer but as you wrote, I don't think that will account for all of the difference ! 

Iain

Not that it makes a great deal of difference to the diameter but from your photo I see that it is 6.70 you are looking for and not a 6.50 tyre as in the title of this thread.

This tyre is a 175R 13 and has a diameter of 24.21" which is nearly 1" larger than 185/70R 13 :-

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m89b0s1675p131145/GT_Radial_Tyres_Van_GT_Radial_Maxmiler_Pro_-_175_R13_C_97_95R_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB

Does the non mixing of radial and cross ply tyre apply to trailers or just cars etc?

Sorry I got the title wrong - I dont know how to fix it. 

I have ordered a 175R 13 since it is not too expensive and I will see if it matches - if it does I can get a local tyre place to change the tyre on my spare wheel 

Thanks again 

Iain

• g0ozs changed the title to Spare wheel for NCRS Signals trailer (6.70R13 tyre)
  • 8 months later...
On 3/3/2018 at 2:33 PM, g0ozs said:

Dear All

Ages ago I posted looking for a spare wheel for my NCRS box trailer (see: http://hmvf.co.uk/topic/35307-spare-670r13-wheel-for-ncrs-trailer/ ) 

I have managed to get a wheel that matches but the tyre that came with it is significantly lower profile and I really need the right one so the towbar height is correct (and I would have to change all 4 plus get a spare of the new size at even greater expense ... ) . There were few (probably less than 100) NCRS box trailers ever made so I can't believe it is the only thing that uses this wheel and tyre - does anyone know what they came from as that might give me some more ideas where to look ?

Regards

Iain

Hi just got 4 tyres for my ncrs trailer from farm marketplace £264.00 delivered if your still looking.

20190410_150718.jpg

• 2 weeks later...