Numbers Triumph 3HW,.

wiki55

I cannot find any engine number on my 3HW. On the standard place, at the left side of the engine under the cylinder, there is nothing. And also the framenumber in the upper ring of the ball head is missing. The only numbers I have found are TEC 942, Triumph Engineering Company September 1942, but that is the date the motorcycle was given to the army. The other number F1642, is in the neck of the ball head and is probably a partnumber of Triumph.

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

Ron, thanks for the advice. I have looked for that place but there was no number. (see the first picture.) I have removed the paint, but nothing. I have also made a picture of my engine without a number. Only my gearbox seems to have a number. I have a mystery 3HW, It is a mystery to me. 

iphone 679.JPG

iphone 678.JPG

iphone 676.JPG

My thoughts too Rik. My eyes are probably deceiving me, but I think I can see something. Very difficult with a picture with scratches. Evan as I zoom in of course the scratches get bigger. But well worth discounting it for sure I think.  Ron

I quite agree, Ron, it looks as if there may have been something but few WD bikes are seriously faked. If it was a pre-war Norton Inter or a Tiger 'undred, then I might expect some careful removal.

In the UK, I know someone who would probably be able to give it a serious forensic examination and bring any numbers up but I have no idea if that could be carried out in The Netherlands.

13 hours ago, 79x100 said:

In the UK, I know someone who would probably be able to give it a serious forensic examination and bring any numbers up but I have no idea if that could be carried out in The Netherlands

This explains how it is done but I don't know if is a DIY job:- http://www.academia.edu/19989779/Analysis_of_Obliterated_Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_cases_study

I can imagine the bike is build from spare parts. It seems to me very coincidental that the frame as well as the engine has no number. And I dont know if the partnumber under the headstock F1642 is stamped standard in all frames. Maybe it is build together just after the bombing of the Triumph factory when it was chaos probably.

I have no possibilty for a serious forensic examination, but I will try to remove the scratches and clean the side of the headstock better. Thanks for all your help so far. 

Jan