Jump to content
BenHawkins

Another Thornycroft

Recommended Posts

It has been quite slow finding parts for the Thornycroft with the three major missing components being the steering box, engine and gearbox.

I spotted this generating set online and we have been out today to collect it.

IMG_5718.thumb.JPG.4cb744917f679aea0ed42fa44f9580db.JPG

At first I thought it was one of the Thornycroft T4 generators. The engine is very similar but in fact this one was made by Coventry Simplex.

IMG_5717.thumb.JPG.3307f2906f54fb45d5508b868f2d71f5.JPG

 

Looking at the engine numbers used in cars I think this dates it to around 1914 and makes it the 18.5hp model. I believe these generators were used to power searchlights, it ended up on a farm but from some of the lining on the paintwork I suspect it also found a fairground use at some point.

IMG_5719.thumb.JPG.149d1b1028e27563427868f8a96e7ee2.JPG

The inlet over exhaust configuration is the same as the Thornycroft T4.

IMG_5723.thumb.JPG.945c9ac85a96d86dd6fb84d1dca6cfd7.JPG

 

Like the T4 it has only two main bearings and the crank has to be extracted through the hole at the back of the crankcase.

IMG_5722.thumb.JPG.23eba255e178543d1dcd34c02d8aa171.JPG

 

The spark plugs stick out the side too so it may be the closest match I can find.

IMG_5721.thumb.JPG.ef38121ad98427491b1724be63311f94.JPG

Worth the 250 mile round trip! I will keep oiling it over the next few months before attempting to free anything off.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the same location as the Coventry Simplex I picked up this photo taken in Cologne, 1919239000577_Cologne1919.thumb.jpg.ee5e2e97238cba583350065b4cee4626.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben,

Pleased to see you've bought the Coventry Simplex generating set. I was under bidder on it at the Crawford reduction sale last year. Part of me wishes I had persevered, but you can't have everything. Good to know it's gone to a good home.

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BenHawkins said:

It has been quite slow finding parts for the Thornycroft with the three major missing components being the steering box, engine and gearbox.

I spotted this generating set online and we have been out today to collect it.

IMG_5718.thumb.JPG.4cb744917f679aea0ed42fa44f9580db.JPG

At first I thought it was one of the Thornycroft T4 generators. The engine is very similar but in fact this one was made by Coventry Simplex.

IMG_5717.thumb.JPG.3307f2906f54fb45d5508b868f2d71f5.JPG

 

Looking at the engine numbers used in cars I think this dates it to around 1914 and makes it the 18.5hp model. I believe these generators were used to power searchlights, it ended up on a farm but from some of the lining on the paintwork I suspect it also found a fairground use at some point.

IMG_5719.thumb.JPG.149d1b1028e27563427868f8a96e7ee2.JPG

The inlet over exhaust configuration is the same as the Thornycroft T4.

IMG_5723.thumb.JPG.945c9ac85a96d86dd6fb84d1dca6cfd7.JPG

 

Like the T4 it has only two main bearings and the crank has to be extracted through the hole at the back of the crankcase.

IMG_5722.thumb.JPG.23eba255e178543d1dcd34c02d8aa171.JPG

 

The spark plugs stick out the side too so it may be the closest match I can find.

IMG_5721.thumb.JPG.ef38121ad98427491b1724be63311f94.JPG

Worth the 250 mile round trip! I will keep oiling it over the next few months before attempting to free anything off.

What a rare piece of kit. Go very careful freeing parts off. I like your plan of oiling it over a period of time.

Kevin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Doc said:

Ben,

Pleased to see you've bought the Coventry Simplex generating set. I was under bidder on it at the Crawford reduction sale last year. Part of me wishes I had persevered, but you can't have everything. Good to know it's gone to a good home.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Perhaps I am better off not knowing the hammer price but I am quite happy with my purchase. Although it is obvious the engine has spent some time outside and there were two spark plugs missing when we picked it up I did take some modern technology with me.

The first tool was a welding rod, I poked it into the sump and to my amazement all that came out on the rod was clean, clear engine oil. No black burnt sludge, water, emulsion or rust. That might still be in the bottom of the sump but decided it was a positive sign.

The second tool was a £20 boroscope. I poked this into the two open spark plug holes; it does not give fantastic images (partly due to poor illumination) but I could not see anything to worry about. The threads for the spark plugs only had light surface rust and being horizontal did not appear to have let any rain in.

I have not take the engine out of the trailer yet, it is too tall for the engine crane so we need to rig up the chain block and scaffold tower. Last night I put some oil in the bores and on most of the fasteners before covering it over with a tarpaulin.

The starting handle had been broken at some point; I suspected the drive dog was in mesh and the shaft was stuck in the carrier so I unbolted it this morning so at least I will not bend it any more when unloading the trailer.

I found a piece of bar that could be bolted to the flange on the crankshaft. This piece of bar has quite a few holes in it from some of the dismantling on the Dennis projects.

IMG_5725.thumb.JPG.50fedce568ac09ccf7547610f1115817.JPG

To my amazement the crank moved with light finger force at about 2' away from the axis. I don't intend to turn it any more than that but it is certainly a positive sign for disassembly.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 6:51 PM, BenHawkins said:

From the same location as the Coventry Simplex I picked up this photo taken in Cologne, 1919239000577_Cologne1919.thumb.jpg.ee5e2e97238cba583350065b4cee4626.jpg

I'm guessing that 'EFC' on both sign and boxes stands for 'Expeditionary Force Canteen' and the fleet of J type Thornycrofts are at the loading bay of the wholesale dept. No markings are visible on the lorries unfortunately.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before the rain set in today we were able to unload the generating set from the trailer. Whilst applying plusgas everywhere I came across these stampings of the broad arrow with WO. Obviously I have seen this with WD on many occasions but I am sure someone on HMVF can explain the why this was stamped WO instead.

IMG_5726.thumb.JPG.02fd3fdc21cc4f6c10450441ebd8416e.JPG

The rocker cover has four Rotherhams of Coventry flip top oilers but only one has the lid so I was concerned the rocker chamber might be full of rust. To my surprise the oil I applied last week seems to have done the job and I was able to loosen the thumb knob that secures the rocker cover. 

IMG_5727.thumb.JPG.39b33241a75ff53fa53fce616c483fd6.JPG

Although it is obvious that some water has made it in through the three faulty oilers there is still only light corrosion so I am sure the rockers will free off

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WO = War Office maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BenHawkins said:

Before the rain set in today we were able to unload the generating set from the trailer. Whilst applying plusgas everywhere I came across these stampings of the broad arrow with WO. Obviously I have seen this with WD on many occasions but I am sure someone on HMVF can explain the why this was stamped WO instead.

IMG_5726.thumb.JPG.02fd3fdc21cc4f6c10450441ebd8416e.JPG

The rocker cover has four Rotherhams of Coventry flip top oilers but only one has the lid so I was concerned the rocker chamber might be full of rust. To my surprise the oil I applied last week seems to have done the job and I was able to loosen the thumb knob that secures the rocker cover. 

IMG_5727.thumb.JPG.39b33241a75ff53fa53fce616c483fd6.JPG

Although it is obvious that some water has made it in through the three faulty oilers there is still only light corrosion so I am sure the rockers will free off

Very little corrosion by the looks of it, hope they free off easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Gordon_M said:

WO = War Office maybe?

The War Department was the United Kingdom government department responsible for the supply of equipment to the armed forces of the United Kingdom and the pursuance of military activity. In 1857 it became the War Office. Within the War Office, the name 'War Department' remained in use to describe the military transport services of the War Department Fleet and the War Department Railways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Department_(United_Kingdom)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the help with the WO stamping.

Looking through the parts book it would appear the Thornycroft T4 was fitted with a Solex carburettor (there is no text to say that but I don't think there were any carburettors that looked similar). After a little bit of research it would appear that one from 1914 should have a barrel throttle rather than a butterfly. There was one on eBay last week the right size for the Coventry Simplex engine so I bid on it.

It does not seem anyone else is really looking for one as it cost me a little over 10 pounds which seems cheap for an Edwardian bronze carburettor.

IMG_5736.thumb.JPG.7a28f11995a78f5a1cc89b15ff914cc8.JPG

The tickler button and spring is missing, and it does not have the optional choke but does have the float, jets etc. If only everything was that easy to find.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ben, that was a good bargain, these are very nice carburettors, my Citroen 5HP has a similar one. Also with barrel throttle. The venturis are just bolted in so you change them to the right size.

This belgian collector has a lot of old parts for sale as he is selling the lot of his collection. He only speaks french but Google translate is a good help.

http://levidegarage.wifeo.com/

Regards Fer

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Citroman said:

Hi Ben, that was a good bargain, these are very nice carburettors, my Citroen 5HP has a similar one. Also with barrel throttle. The venturis are just bolted in so you change them to the right size.

This belgian collector has a lot of old parts for sale as he is selling the lot of his collection. He only speaks french but Google translate is a good help.

http://levidegarage.wifeo.com/

Regards Fer

 

Thanks,

I seem to remember more of my schoolboy french than I thought as I can understand a quite a bit of that without google translate. The Solex is really well documented so once I have confirmed the bore and stroke it should be quite easy to set the carburettor up correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...