Ex-Military Wrecker in commercial use.

Hello everyone.

Thought I would finally join having been viewing without joining.

Been reading several items on here which I will go back through and see fully now I have signed up.

The main reason I have joined as I am seriously considering purchasing a Foden 6x6 EKA or Scammell 6x4 EKA. I would like to buy something I could use as a working tool as well as a hobby. I own a couple of Land Rovers, one is a dedicated winch vehicle with recovery equipment. I use them as tools so the truck would need to be the same to justify owning it. I have been in contact with the IVR for training and in talks with a training provider. I have been reading threads here and will re-read as this is all new to me and have been enjoying the Recovery & Towing thread and Cosrec's thread on his Foden. I hope that Cosrec and other operators will be able to give me some feedback on how the ex-military trucks perform vs a modern truck.

My only concerns are the Underlift being quite short. I see the Crusaders came with an extension, did the Fodens not have such a thing? I see Cosrec modified his but could a detachable extension be made or best to modify as cosrec with a adjustable T head. I would like to be able to underlift coaches should the need arise.

Should I be concerned about the low GTW of both vehicles? I see the Foden is 58 tons and the Scammel is 46 ton. Having seen videos of both pull much high loads, 85+ ton cranes etc. I'm sure that the rear bogie would be overloaded recovering a laden arctic but should I worry? The modern machines with high 150T GTW capacities look great but expensive and likely costly to maintain and not practical for a small operator.

Several large operators have a Foden in use so that helps with the appeal of the Foden to me as it must be very useful.

I have seen Scammel Explorers pulling combinations living wagons and trailers. If I was to pull a drawbar trailer for recovery use, carrying a heavily damaged truck or agricultural machine would this keep within normal rules. Living in quite an agricultural area I was thinking for recovering damaged tractors or equipment. 

Let me know your thoughts, I just would like to try something different and this is something that appeals to me. If it's not worth the cost then I will stick to my Land Rovers.

• 2 weeks later...

Only just seen this post. Interceptor quick read through your post only thing i can say is for every question you ask there are a 100 answers. But before you go any further do not commit to any training schemes as yet . until you have decided what route you are going to go down. They are regarded as a distress purchase by operators to enable experienced staff to go on jobs that certain clubs who pay shit rates demand paper certificates for.. As for all your other question  i am quite willing to give advise on forum or on the phone. For a start the extension off a scammel will fit the EKA  on a foden. As to which truck towing down road scammell local tractors etc odd vehicle etc Foden

• 1 month later...