RM Arctic Rucksack Waist Belt

SimonLMoore

Hi Chaps, hoping someone might be able to advise, looking for advice on the RM arctic rucksack waist belt, I've recently purchased a ruck on the earlier yellow frame and I'm looking to pick up a suitable waist belt. Silvermans sell what they say are the belts which look right save for having two D rings on the back rather than strap and buckles to attach to the frame as I've seen on other examples, are these belts Silvermans have something completely different or a variation? Either way I'm looking for the right belt for a pre-'83 rucksack.

Simon,

There are two patterns of frame and two patterns of waist belt. Silvermans have the later type with diagonal loop straps added.

On the original frames the shoulder yoke loop straps attached to d rings on the bottom of the frames. On the post 1980 variation the yoke loop straps just wrapped around the bottom of the frame but also passed through the diagonal loop straps on the waist belt to anchor everything together.

The original waist belts are tricky to find and often in poor condition. 

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for that, as I say I have the earlier pack frame with the D rings to take the shoulder straps, will put some photos up when I get it in order.

I know what you mean by the nylon webbing loops on the waist belt but the difference I'm referring to is on the back, the one Silvermans sell separately from the rucksacks have two D rings on the back whereas the type I've seen and the one they sell attached to the rucksack when bought complete has straps and buckles on the back to attach to the frame.

It's possible the belts they're selling separately have been modified or are for a different purpose?

I decided to purchase one of the belts offered by Silvermans as they aren't too expensive and I could combine postage with another item so here are some photos. In this instance I think the loops might have been added after initial manufacture. As you can see it has a pair of D rings at the back, the original is plastic, the other a metal replacement.

IMG_20180208_220816.jpg

IMG_20180208_220725.jpg

That's absolutely fine. It's the later pattern of belt. They are a fraction wider than the first type and apart from the diagonal loop straps are near identical to the early type. Funnily enough I have one with exactly the same repair, on d ring replaced in metal, the other is the original plastic. 
Must have been a stress point on the belt.