Wendelspanswick

British Army Jackal - The Logic of Exposed Crew?

I keep seeing a pair of Jackals around Taunton and it strikes me as to how exposed the crew are, whats the design logic in having the crew 'out in the open' where they are vulnerable to small arms fire and IED's?

I have read it was to give the crew "improved situational awareness". Probably OK in the desert but in urban areas where chaps lob things at you from roof tops?

Gordon

Also vulnerable to any air burst munitions or as you say fighting in built up areas.

The basic position is no doubt they are trying to find a use for the thousands of vehicles acquired under urgent operational  requirement contracts in Afghanistan and some may not be the best designs for average European use.  Probably also a lot cheaper to use than the proper armour sitting in storage depots. 

Edited by REME 245

Infantry love the their space awareness; just ask a few squaddies what they think about riding around inside an AFV. They hate every minute of it!

What you can't see is the Top Secret invisible force field that protects the occupants but allows them to shoot out.

To start with the Jackal is nothing like a Land Rover. Even Armoured vehicles have a top cover man.