1942 GMC Otter MK I

lssah2025

Well I picked up the Falaise Otter MK I from James Gosling, due to him being so busy with all his other projects....so will try and start a thread here on some of the restoration work. The vehicle is still in the UK and will have most of the work done there.

Currently she is in the shop and having the necessary welding done. She is getting a new nose cone, engine covers, all new wings (fenders), and all of the missing doors and visors, the hinges are being cast from the originals still left.

The top impact on the armour will be 100% replaced, the side impact on the near side drivers compartment will get a field repair (weld and bolts).

Will need a new engine, possible drive train, the brakes are off and will be rebuilt, the fuel tank is still with the vehicle but was blown out due to the fire, so have a template, I have a repro turret, that I will try to install with the proper seat, some of the interior bits have been made already, have a restored dash with gauges, will need to fabricate the engine cover and do a new floor, due to the previous one is rusted out, and also had some impact marks.

Need to source a steering wheel to help it move in the shop, so if anyone has one...

First set of pics is what she looked like at auction (she took a AT round into the offside drivers area, and also a arty round in the roof. The history of the vehicle is that this is actual wartime damage, and not from a firing range, hence it was written off and was in a farmers field for many years (Monsieur Leloup l allowed me (James) into the compound to view the Otters. Both are missing engines and gearboxes and the interiors have been stripped out. The far one has sustained some very serious battle damage, the whole roof is blown in and along the armour by the driver a large strip of armour has been pealed back where it was hit. 

aaaattachment.jpg

aattachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

battle.jpg

battle1.jpg

floor.jpg

• Like 1

Off to see the welding wizard and have some work done.

More work done, visors cut and welded, doors cut and welded with rain strips, wings finished, roof armour being replaced, side step fixed.

The top armour is being replaced, the side impact will get a field repair, welded plate with bolts.

http://s141.photobucket.com/user/lssah2025/slideshow/1942 GM Otter MKI?sort=6

24232705_572565143082756_1397519020973014461_n.jpg

26238856_1077021009117227_90448997345418271_n.jpg

26907988_1077020789117249_1564231173401301941_n.jpg

image1 (3).JPG

image1 (4).JPG

image2 (3).JPG

image2 (4).JPG

image3 (1).JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image5.JPG

image6 (2).JPG

Edited by lssah2025
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Otter update: fitted the bonnet, fitted door hinges (reproduced from originals), wing mirror arms, side door locks and brackets, repaired the hole in the roof and need to finish the side impact. The bonnet catches are nearly ready to fit. You will notice that bolts are being used, this is so everything can be taken off to complete the final restoration, media blasting etc., then will have proper rivets and bolts put back in during the final process.

image1 (3).JPG

image2 (3).JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image5.JPG

image6.JPG

Edited by lssah2025
  • Like 1
  • Up 1

• lssah2025 changed the title to 1942 GMC Otter MK I
  • 5 months later...

Little bit of an update, more work done, aerial wings mounted, door catches and visors completed, rear stowage and fuel tank cover done, hinges fabricated, almost externally complete. (everything still attached with bolts, so can be taken apart for the final restoration).  or maybe will stay like this with an external paint job for a static display for a while, until all the mechanical bits gets worked out.

46795038_10218260069360038_7744266578073485312_n.jpg

• Like 2