CVRT - Start after Storage - Question

Obitwo

Hi,

A civilian ex Jaguar mechanic saw my CVRT Sabre and said that:

"After standing more than 6 months the J60 engine should be opened & manually turned to check that all valves moved freely before start. Esp the last valve, could easily get stuck. This could be solved with some oil before start but if not adressed before starting, the engine could be hurt."

Is this also relevant with the military, CVRT J60s or do You just start it up straight/normal after winter storage? ( Fresh batteries, check fluids etc)

PLS any comments, anyone?

It makes sense, as J60s in storage to sometimes suffer stuck valves (I used to turn our  spare engines but didn't for a period and now they have stuck). It is possible to turn the engine over in situe using the fan, trouble is by turning the engine over you can still damage a valve if it is stuck.

I can honestly say that having been involved with 1x CVRT for almost 10 years, and during that period she has sat in damp environments for very long periods unused, we have not had any issues with sticking valves in the installed engine. The spare engines are in a container and have stuck. Perhaps having the exhaust system and vehicle intake system have helped on the vehicle engine, where the stored ones don't have these so do?

Vince 

• Like 1

Thanks for replies, and I understand it could be an issue  - (but I have not heard of, nor done this with my other classic civvy vehicles before, mind they´ve not been Jaguars ) - so;  - Is this something you other CVRT owners do as a rule if its been standing a winter or a more? (I take it Grasshopper didn´t :)) If many diff replies , this could be valuable for many other new CVRT owners to read

Edited by Obitwo

I can't say I know of any CVRT owner who turns there engines over by hand. Regular start ups help obviously. I do know of one CVRW Fox that possibly has a stuck valve but that's after about 10 years of inactivity, the outcome would be the same for most old vehicles though! There is certainly nothing about that in the CVRT manuals. 

• Like 1

A problem with the Jaguar engine is the large diamiter Cam follower, It more that the valve will tend to stick if it does not move for an extended period. I never like turning an engines by hand to check it without without removing its ability to start or kick back unexpectidly. 

• Like 1