Help Vehicle Reg scrapped

Hi all

Got a chance of a very sick Matador it's almost flat packed and grown into the ground a fair bit and has worked in a sawmill as a wood tractor before being abandoned to the corner about 30 years ago, Jib has been folded forward on to the cab and all has now collapsed hence the flat pack comment, My problem is the owner was offered a price for the engine and gearbox in 2013 so he went ahead and sent the log book back and told them it was scrapped, roll ahead 5 years and the Matador is still in one piece hence my interest but my concern is ? Will I be able to re register with the same number ( paperwork and receipt from DVLA saying they acknowledge vehicle being scrapped ) or will they not re register old or new number due to vehicle being scrapped on paper back in 2013 .

Sorry it's long winded but I don't want to purchase the Matador if it cannot go back on the road.

mike h

Sorry, but you are very unlikely to be able to recover the old number if it has been declared scrapped. It can't hurt to call and ask though.

However there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to register it with a new number. You will have to go through the normal registration process which can be dispiriting but you just have to persevere. Remember you will need a NOVA number and dating letter from IMPS or MVT before making your application.

Regards - MG

Thanks for the reply's guys

bit more light at the end of the tunnel than I thought there would be, I will call in the morning and post what the outcome is good or bad

mind you if it's good.......... I'll be on the scrounge for cab parts and engine cover

thanks again

mike h

Ok

spoke with DVLA they have no record of vehicle now need a dating letter fill in a v65 I think it was and the nova number then she said 4. To 6 weeks and should get it registered in my name, also asked if it could be registered as historic vehicle.

any tips or advice greatly appreciated

1 hour ago, Chris Hall said:

Do you need a nova if the vehicle isn’t an import?

Yes, it's now part of DVLA's procedure.

He just needs to call HMRC, explain the back story and they will issue a zero-rate NOVA number which will reference the vehicle's chassis number. DVLA will then cross-reference this to allow the new registration application to proceed.

Personally I would not tell them it was a previously registered vehicle as it will just confuse matters. Just proceed as though it is a newly-found vehicle with no known history.

Mike - do not try to rush the process. It will take time and it will be frustrating. One application we did last year took 6 months and 4 rejections. Another took 3 weeks and 1 rejection.  The previous year one took 1 week total!

You need to get all the paperwork in order before you start including NOVA, V55/5 (only fill in the relevant bits), IMPS/MVT verification letter and supporting documentation.

If DVLA are unhappy with any element of your application they may decide to have the vehicle inspected. This is done at their expense by a third party company called SGS. We had one of these inspections on a stale-mated application last year after which the registration was completed within 2 weeks. The important thing is they cannot inspect a pile of parts. It has to be a recognisable and more or less complete vehicle. The missing engine/gearbox shouldn't be an issue although if you can have your replacements sitting on the floor alongside it would probably help!

Feel free to PM me if you want any assistance with the application.

Regards - Mike

Edited by TooTallMike

Mike

agree with what not mentioning been registered , engine and gearbox never got removed hence my interest in saving the matador, so vehicle is still complete apart from the cab which has fallen apart having been crushed by the jib so hopefully chassis with all the running gear would be good enough for ID if required

mike h

1 minute ago, Mike H said:

Mike

agree with what not mentioning been registered , engine and gearbox never got removed hence my interest in saving the matador, so vehicle is still complete apart from the cab which has fallen apart having been crushed by the jib so hopefully chassis with all the running gear would be good enough for ID if required

mike h

In that case you should be fine. There ought to be enough supporting documentation for a Mat that the inspection would be unnecessary anyway. Try to get hold of build cards etc. to use as supporting evidence. I don't know what is available for these particular vehicles but others on here will be able to guide you.

Regards - MG

7 minutes ago, TooTallMike said:

In that case you should be fine. There ought to be enough supporting documentation for a Mat that the inspection would be unnecessary anyway. Try to get hold of build cards etc. to use as supporting evidence. I don't know what is available for these particular vehicles but others on here will be able to guide you.

Regards - MG

Thanks MG

don't know if anyone is interested in it's number but here it is 08536648

mike h

10 hours ago, TooTallMike said:

Yes, it's now part of DVLA's procedure.

He just needs to call HMRC, explain the back story and they will issue a zero-rate NOVA number which will reference the vehicle's chassis number. DVLA will then cross-reference this to allow the new registration application to proceed.

Personally I would not tell them it was a previously registered vehicle as it will just confuse matters. Just proceed as though it is a newly-found vehicle with no known history.

Mike - do not try to rush the process. It will take time and it will be frustrating. One application we did last year took 6 months and 4 rejections. Another took 3 weeks and 1 rejection.  The previous year one took 1 week total!

You need to get all the paperwork in order before you start including NOVA, V55/5 (only fill in the relevant bits), IMPS/MVT verification letter and supporting documentation.

If DVLA are unhappy with any element of your application they may decide to have the vehicle inspected. This is done at their expense by a third party company called SGS. We had one of these inspections on a stale-mated application last year after which the registration was completed within 2 weeks. The important thing is they cannot inspect a pile of parts. It has to be a recognisable and more or less complete vehicle. The missing engine/gearbox shouldn't be an issue although if you can have your replacements sitting on the floor alongside it would probably help!

Feel free to PM me if you want any assistance with the application.

Regards - Mike

Just to add that I sent the Cast certificate and partially filled in V55/5 for my newly acquired Leyland Daf to the DVLA and received my authority to obtain number plates 7 days later and the V5c 2 days after that, sterling service!

This MATADOR chassis number 08536648 had a wartime number of H5469906 had post war numbers of  18 YZ 93 and was renumbered as 12 RB  23  YEAR OF BUILD was  October 1943 the contract number was S3039 AND WAS IN A ORDER FOR 500 vehicle you can get a copy  from the RLC MUSEUM DEEPCUT by asking for a copy of the no2 key card and paying a fee

Edited by wally dugan
spelling

3 hours ago, wally dugan said:

This MATADOR chassis number 08536648 had a wartime number of H5469906 had post war numbers of  18 YZ 93 and was renumbered as 12 RB  23  YEAR OF BUILD was  October 1943 the contract number was S3039 AND WAS IN A ORDER FOR 500 vehicle you can get a copy  from the RLC MUSEUM DEEPCUT by asking for a copy of the no2 key card and paying a fee

That's great Wally

thanks for the information

mike h