Ferret fuel pump

Robert F

Hi there,

I am new to this forum. I am located in the USA (Cincinnati, Ohio), and I have a Ferret Mark 2/3, (00 DD 34)

I am having a problem with fuel leaking into my crankcase through the fuel pump. I am looking at options.

It looks like it is not simple to access the fuel pump. (The unit repair manual tells how to do it)  I do have a rebuild kit. 

I have heard of at least one other owner, many years ago, using an electric fuel pump. 

Has anyone done this? If so, what type did they use? Any details would be appreciated.

This looks like a great forum! I look forward to learning more about my vehicle.

Thanks,

Robert

Dear Robert,

welcome along. Sadly over the past year or s traffic here has dropped off a bit and some have ventured to the dark side of Facebook.

The only trouble is that FB does not archive which this forum does.. There is a handy search function in the top right and by playing around with key words you will come up trumps.

I am of to bed so I am not gong searching for you but its all on here.

The Ferret fuel pump is an age old problem. Others have jury rigged around the existing pump etc. Pulling the whole pack out is less daunting than it sounds.

I'm above you in Ontario Canada. I have a spin on oil filter adapter you might like

Email me and I will send you my phone number

All the best

Robin

easiest way is 

to replace with an electric pump . I fitted two on separate  circuits and put in a separate kill switch on both of them.         no more fuel filling the sump. CVRT 24v  will do or you can fit  a 12v using one battery there is plenty on ebay. I took the engine out to clean 

and put a blanking plate were the pump was

Hi Robert,

I experienced the same issue as you.  The original mechanical fuel pump is good and obviously lasts a long time but when she fails, your main bearings get washed with fuel (not a good thing).  We used a Facet cylindrical 24 volt pump that produces 4-5 psi. We added a regulating valve and a return line. Using a gauge, we started at 2.5 psi and moved up to about 3 psi after it seemed to be starved for fuel around 2,500 rpm.  A picture can be found by scrolling down in the British Vehicles forum under BATUS Ferret 00CC78 Refurbish.  These pumps can be found on EBay.  The electric fuel pump also makes starting a lot easier.

We also added the Jolley electronic ignition and she runs like a champ.

Darcy

• 3 months later...

I don't know how you got on, but I'm personally a fan of rebuilding the standard pump. Keep in mind that yours has probably been working without trouble for 50 years and after a quick rebuild will be good for 50 more. Something to note though is that it seems that ethanol fuels can cause problems with the rubber used in them, which seems to be why American users are having more trouble than most, as in a lot of places you can only get an ethanol blend.

On a stalwart,I fitted a 24 volt electric fuel pump and got the power supply for it from the housing that has the starter and ballast connections in it.

The pump was mounted straight on the engine block where the mechanical pump goes , so the the standard fuel line and fittings where used.

So far no problems.

Vibs from the engine could make the fuel pump fail, but being a 8 cyl B81 which runs very smooth it has not been a problem and I carry a spare pump , just in case and is a easy fit on a Stalwart.