WW1 exhibits /events for 2018

PITT24423

Thought it might be helpful to start a discussion on planned events involving WW1 lorries this year where and when people can see them out.I`ll start the ball rolling with the ones we are planning to attend.

11 Aug     WW1 convoy Bovington Tank Museum to Great Dorset Steam Fair stopping at Blandford for lunch ,this will be a repeat of the 2014 event but with more and a "special" heavy load for the steam 

23- 27 Aug GDSF looking as if its going to be something quite special as it is its 50th with 500 full size traction and the WW1 centenary display 

That makes sense. I did not fully adapt my brain to the inadequate braking technology of 100 years past. Was that a vintage carrier for the Holt? It looked it...  but I don't know much about British transport from that era as it relates to a steamer.

Hi Jim, yes, I believe the trailer is ex Pickfords and of the same era as the engines. Braking is by wind on bands in the first instance and can be supplemented by reversing the motion of the engine, which will then fight itself to a standstill if necessary. This needs to be done with care and primarily from the rear in order to keep the load straight.

Tomo

HCVS London to Brighton run on 6th May has the following info from the entry form:

"With 2018 being the closing year of the First World War commemorations across Britain, as previously announced, our 2018 Special Class will be for any members’ commercial vehicles built up to and including 1918.   Whilst we are hoping to receive keen interest from the owners of WWI military vehicles from across the spectrum of Services and types, we welcome members non-military entries of any type built before 1919."

Nick

The trailer is wartime or just post war. One of two I believe built to move transformers. The common motive power was Diamond T's.

Norman Box had some trailers that look similar in the 1920's, but the earlier trailers were much simpler. The solid rubber tyres really only became common on them after the great war.

I think the reality is that most if not all the heavy equipment the military needed to move went direct by rail. They will have not moved anything by road like this. Even the tack that came from America like the Holt will have come via a ship direct onto rail for onward travel. Once in France it will have started hauling direct from the railhead. Its how they moved the big guns also!.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

There is usually some WW 1 wheeled input to Tracks to the Trenches which is held at Apedale, near Stoke on Trent. This year it is being held 13th to 15th July.

More info at the Moseley Railway Trust website. The only place to see Baldwin, Hunslet and Hudswell locomotives and Simplex petrol tractors towing the correct WDLR rolling stock on a ballasted and field railway system running into reproduction trenches. The German and French light railway systems will also be represented.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:53 PM, PITT24423 said:

Thought it might be helpful to start a discussion on planned events involving WW1 lorries this year where and when people can see them out.I`ll start the ball rolling with the ones we are planning to attend.

11 Aug     WW1 convoy Bovington Tank Museum to Great Dorset Steam Fair stopping at Blandford for lunch ,this will be a repeat of the 2014 event but with more and a "special" heavy load for the steam 

23- 27 Aug GDSF looking as if its going to be something quite special as it is its 50th with 500 full size traction and the WW1 centenary display 

Just bumping this back to the top as we are only a couple of weeks away , its got the feeling of being very good.

• Like 1

I attended the Tracks to the Trenches event the weekend before last with the Marshall. Here are a couple of pictures of the road vehicles. Ive robbed them off The Manchester Regiment''s facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/232584754465/about/ , but I actually took the first pic so I dont suppose they will mind if I repost here.

008_1660.jpg

008_1661.jpg

• Like 1

It was a grand 'do', and no mistake - so pleased I went in spite of it being too bl**dy hot! 😅

At least I wasn't wearing khaki serge though, or the winter overcoats that the bus crew had on... 😮

Here are a few photos of your Marshall - it was nice to see a fellow traveller from Gainsborough:

1728909008_TrackstotheTrenches-ApedaleVLR14thJuly2018(57).thumb.JPG.d40ac6a0eb27e27d00e78c62e81c1ce6.JPG

39287836_TrackstotheTrenches-ApedaleVLR14thJuly2018(64).thumb.JPG.f903012e54b1c57c344a1901847229ad.JPG

235551946_TrackstotheTrenches-ApedaleVLR14thJuly2018(67).thumb.JPG.97b027fe74e81bc485c6f071136c235d.JPG

462863119_TrackstotheTrenches-ApedaleVLR14thJuly2018(68).thumb.JPG.9cd53c23d7f90e65ff6464e31418c06e.JPG

1546630369_TrackstotheTrenches-ApedaleVLR14thJuly2018(69).thumb.JPG.ad491d688fdfba3963de88ba1ae8cae1.JPG

Still working my way through the photos I took, but the first batch are on my Flickr page: https://flic.kr/s/aHskF9KVi9

• Like 1