RAF Vehicle Identity Required

LarryH57

Does that say Ambulance of top of the cab on the 2nd from right. I will say for starters, R to Left. Albion, Fordson, Dodge, Chev, and Clark tractor, with a fuel tank on the trailer.

Edited by john1950
correction

8 hours ago, john1950 said:

Does that say Ambulance of top of the cab on the Humber. I will say for starters, R to Left. Albion, Fordson, Dodge, Chev, and Clark tractor, with a fuel tank on the trailer.

I think the lorry on the right is a Thornycroft Nubian (not an Albion) and tractor on extreme left is a Fordson.

Ford, Chevrolet, DeSoto, Plymouth and Dodge plus some others produced a similar family of vehicles. Some chassis were supplied to Australia and bodied by Holden. Because this appears to have externally mounted head lights I am going to go with Chevrolet.   

1 hour ago, john_g_kearney said:

The Ford ute does indeed look very like the Alamein vehicle. How likely was it that an Australian vehicle was in the Western Desert - how much MT, if any, did the Australians bring with them when they arrived in theatre?

John.

Hi John,

it is very likely to see these Australian vehicles, and staff cars in photos of the war in North Africa.

Regards Richard 

No one has meantioned that lump of ordinance in the foreground. In the second picture the side window is smaller and have a quarter light I think, there is no bonnet motife, and the running boards are different. With the lack of add ons this side it may be left hand drive. What do you think?

Edited by john1950
addition

Many thanks, Wally, Richard and John.

Re the ute, the similarity of design between the various manufacturers does complicate things...

Re the bomb in front of the ute, there is an even bigger one to the right (which I have cropped off). Unexploded bombs seem to have been favoured for decorating the car park at Alamein station.

John.

2 hours ago, john_g_kearney said:

The last photograph I posted is the bomb - it is about 4 times bigger than the bomb/shell in front of the ute.

Yes, I dare say it took some machining...

John.

The bomb casings were/are normally forgings..... with machining for final finishing and the addition of fuse pockets etc.

See the start of the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeVbXSAJ6eA