Russian navy engine

fernballan

On 03/01/2018 at 8:38 PM, john1950 said:

I was looking for someone in Newbiggin by the Sea years ago, I went through a rikety gate to ask and there were at least 4 large Russian submarine engines in the shed and yard. What the story was I did not find out.

I was aware of German submarines being broken up at Blyth,  Googling it up - it seems Russian subs were also scrapped there.  I would have to forum register to learn more.

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16063.

That was a laugh when they broke those up. They lost one off the barge bringing them over in the Baltic. They were not supposed to have any batteries on but one had a full compliment. A fair amount of damage was done to the barge while they pulled it off, see sawing it with the tug. There were some Russian Destroyers and Frigates also. They used the former shipbreaking yard of Hughes Bolkow, Battleship Wharf. When they left I was picking up an O and K excavator, A large black Mercedes with blacked out windows pulled up and three men got out all dressed idetically, Homberg hats and ankle length black leather overcoats, Just as I had imagined Maffia men to look.  One stayed with the car the other two came over and one of them asked for the men who had been running the show I forget his name now. I told him I thought that he returned to Sheffield. One turned to the other and said "We will be going to Sheffield then" and with that they turned and left. This is not made up, it is just as it happened, one miserable wet day. Some submarines also went to Cainryan where they broke up the Eagle and Ark Royal.

Edited by john1950
addition

Cairnryan ,  for certain it was  Easter to Whit. time 1972 , I am certain it was a carrier - fork trucks driving down a ramp from a side- RoRo door with pallets of electric motors on.  I stopped on the quayside and had a quick peep inside.  Checking on internet - just months too early for HMS Eagle,  so  must be 6 months out  -  when I was on hol. long route to west coast of Scotland after a overnight stop at Kipford.

Cairnryan is a different place now. I only went over once when the Ark was there and could hardly stand on the flight deck for the wind. When I was back in the early 2000ds doing a nightly trailer drop and swap there is a new ferry terminal and quay where the breaking quay was, improved roads all of the way accross.hardly recognisable.

The engine weighs 1680 kg (dry) with back stroke. Take away the back stroke and it weighs just a bit less than Rolls Royce Griffon.
The cylinder caliber is 180 mm, stroke length is 200 and 208.9 mm, respectively. The pistons are relatively short, about 150 mm high.
Double overhead camshafts and four large valves per cylinder