W & P Blatant Spamming

dgrev

I am seriously considering giving my subscription to the W&P site the flick due to their blatant spamming of my inbox.

I subscribed back in the Rex days when the newsletter was informative and interesting, now it is just blatant advertising

for the various booking forms thinly disguised with the words Christmas or New Year. 

It is painfully obvious that it is now all about profit and not about community spirit as with Rex.

So far I have received the following:

Christmas greetings 7 x 2 = 14

New Year 1 x 2 = 2 (no doubt another 6 x 2 to follow)

Why they think doubling up on every message is going to endear themselves to me is a mystery.

There is a difference between advertising and spam and they are far over the line into spamming.

Is it making me want to go there = NO? 

Is it REALLY annoying me = YES!!!!

Regards

Doug

Yes its getting up my nose as well.

People will decide to go or not depending on their own prejudices or experiences.

Spamming will not encourage those who might be wavering by being treated like a gormless moron who can only be persuaded to go by constant "marketing", it will pea them off.

So now all WPR stuff goes straight to my junk file & I don't have to see it any more.

Hello Clive

Nice to know I am not the only one who has got pushed over their grumpy line.

Perhaps that sort of thing flies with his other businesses, but it smacks of desperation or cynicism.

Regards

Doug

Edited by dgrev

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Military World Show has been cancelled, I got this e-mail from the organisers

from MWSVehicles <vehicles@militaryworldshow.com>

Dear Vehicle Owner,

Thank you for booking into the Military World Show 2018, however Military World have to unfortunately cancel the 2018 show at Abingdon Airfield.

This being an MOD site, is required for MOD purposes and therefore we are unable to make use of the site & our quick search to find another location has not proven fruitful for 2018, therefore the decision has been made to cancel the 2018 show.

We are continuing to locate another suitable site and once we have located a suitable site and identified a suitable location we will advise you accordingly.

Wishing you all the best for the forthcoming show season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Degrev,

Coming in to force in a few months is the EU's General Data Protection Regulations (on 25th May 2018) and as part of this legislation you must have the option to UNSUBSCRIBE any email sent from within the EU, even if you agreed previously but now don't want them. Actually this process should be in pace already under DPA but often it's avoided by getting you to log in to update your preferences for an F'ing site you know nothing about, that in turn wont't allow you to update preferences without a password. Barriers to unsubscribing are not permitted under GDPR. Anyway if you get emails you do not want and they don't stop coming then report them to the Information Commisioners Office (ICO) https://ico.org.uk/

Sadly places outside the EU such as Africa, Asia former Soviet Union & USA (to name a few) are not covered by ICO, and unsolicited emails from these places can be a nuisence, but can be marked as junk mail so hopefully they will go in the dump box. 

Edited by LarryH57

• 2 months later...

Well, they are at it again. Duplicate blatant spamming. No real content, just pushing for advertising or/and fill in this form and pay money.

Where is the information about what is on, the number of vendors (of MV parts, not carnival dross), the number of MVs registered etc?

Larry, as tempting as unsubscribing is, curiosity has got the better of me for the moment as I wait to see if they can actually say something interesting amongst all the bumpf. Be nice to unsubscribe to mono, but would probably mean I would be totally unsubscribed. Oh for the days of the Rex emails, with genuine and interesting content..... 

Regards

Doug

I am also getting annoyed with the daily updates about nothing arriving in my inbox. They are flaunting and ignoring the new data protection regulations now in force, I have not been asked once if I would like to continue to receiving this spam.

I really do think that since this new group have taken over WP it is run in a very amateur way. The website is awful and confusing, the home page still has a guide to 2017 show on the main drop-bars, and nothing is straight forward.

I think this will be my last year at the show. I will not go into the usual gripes and complaints, but toilets, lack of marshals, no enforcement and illegal driving are certainly high on the list.  As well as stalls closing early, people leaving and the civilian cars, vans and marquees in the middle of great displays. I guess it all died a death when Rex stepped down. Now it seems to be a money spinner with no real substance. 

You really should be able to unsubscribe, as GDPR directive from the EU applies to all, even clubs and societies with a minimum mumber of members and whether or not the organisation is registered with the ICO.

So send them a note if there is no Unsubscribe button, and mention the ICO

Today's offering in stereo is 

1) Buy a jacket

2) Buy tickets.

Not a word about the attractions at the show, the attendees, the interesting vehicles, the flea market, public transport

connections and so on.

Rex please un-retire!

Just received an email about a special event at the show for Light weight Landies. 

That came with the obligatory "buy tickets" message, but perhaps they are finally starting to see the light and realise that

there is such a thing as content marketing. 

The constant spam is such a sad sight to see for this once cared for and much-loved show. It all feels so corporate now. I hope the new owners do change their tune and make it feel like it once was. It is obvious they need to make money, but do it in a way that doesn't annoy everyone. I actually work in marketing for a large firm and we wouldn't dare email customers with repeated or spam content on such a daily basis. The whole thing screams amateur and it is clearly being done by someone who thinks they know how to this job. Some training is required I think before someone ends up reporting it... if they haven't done so already!!  

Edited by hetsar