Austin K2 gearbox

k2timbo

20171229_194932.thumb.jpg.ddcfa72aca533b77dd762550b8b70eee.jpg

Happy New Year folks, new year new challenge, I'm looking for a lock washer for prop shaft flange at the rear of the gearbox, I've tried Halfords!

Failing one available, does anyone know the type of metal used for lock washers with tabs, as I 'll have a go at making one. 

Edited by k2timbo

They are only mild steel, which is why they get so mangled. None of the dimensions are absolutely critical so if you can file reasonably accurately you should be able to make one in about 40mins. Try to get the lugs that engage the splines as even as possible so the load is evenly spread and use material that is slightly heavier rather than lighter than original which should make it tougher. Biggest challenge is marking out the shape of the splines, good luck and Happy New Year !

David

Hi David, thanks for the info, I was under the impression it was slightly softer than mild steel but it makes sense when you think you're only bending a small tab that is held tight against the nut.  I think 40min of filing classes as a post Christmas work out, I'll have a bash tomorrow. All the best, Tim

20180103_115009.thumb.jpg.8696daf4d3091795caa87a784570b050.jpg

A little tidying up of the teeth and ready for fitting.

Edited by k2timbo
Update.