Mystery Object No. 28

fv1609

Clive,

I recall some sort of lock out lever adjacent to the main gear lever on Mk2 Pigs. As Pigs were vehicles I avoided as much as possible in Workshops, my memory of this is not good, except that I think it was to lock out 1st gear when in 4 wheel drive, because the torque could cause drive shaft failure. Am I on the right track?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and does this thing deploy itself i.e. by some event triggering it, or does it need to be deployed by a person ? (I won't sleep tonight!!)

Needs a person to do something that in turn will operate the device. Sweet dreams, beats counting sheep ;-)

Clive,

I recall some sort of lock out lever adjacent to the main gear lever on Mk2 Pigs. As Pigs were vehicles I avoided as much as possible in Workshops, my memory of this is not good, except that I think it was to lock out 1st gear when in 4 wheel drive, because the torque could cause drive shaft failure. Am I on the right track?

As Pigs were vehicles I avoided as much as possible in Workshops,

Oi!

Am I on the right track?

Sort of

Needs a person to do something that in turn will operate the device.

I think I am close.....and possibly got it the wrong way around. When you select 2WD this lock stops you from selecting 1st gear, due to the torque breaking drive lines. When 4WD is selected, lock comes out.

I may be talking bollox, but as I said, Pigs were not my favourite vehicle.......but I love pork :-D

Kewelde, it might be bollox, but it seems right to me :-)

You were warm with your last previous posts apparently, so I was thinking it could be something like an interlock, I wonder with the angle of the thing, the fact that it isn't in the engine, is something to do with engine/drivetrain, is fitted inside, looks like the end of it is painted white (so you can see it?), and I think the grease is covered in lint-like material (fluff), whether this object is situated at floor level around the driver's seat? The mounting looks like it fits around something, i.e. a gearstick, as the back mounting is rounded? But I don't know anything at all about pigs, well I didn't before this anyway :-)

I think I am close.....and possibly got it the wrong way around. When you select 2WD this lock stops you from selecting 1st gear, due to the torque breaking drive lines. When 4WD is selected, lock comes out.

I may be talking bollox, but as I said, Pigs were not my favourite vehicle.......but I love pork :-D

You're very close

Kewelde, it might be bollox, but it seems right to me :-)

You were warm with your last previous posts apparently, so I was thinking it could be something like an interlock, I wonder with the angle of the thing, the fact that it isn't in the engine, is something to do with engine/drivetrain, is fitted inside, looks like the end of it is painted white (so you can see it?), and I think the grease is covered in lint-like material (fluff), whether this object is situated at floor level around the driver's seat? The mounting looks like it fits around something, i.e. a gearstick, as the back mounting is rounded? But I don't know anything at all about pigs, well I didn't before this anyway :-)

You're getting close as well.

Richard, maybe its around the other way? If you select 1st, it engages 4 wheel drive? You then have to put it back into 2 wheel drive if required? I know that sound sthe same but is subtly different?

Yes well done Mick, you've got it the right way round. Richard & Simon were almost there!

The normal operation of the Humber is as follows.

When engaging 1st gear, the gear stick is moved to the lower left.

Here it hits a protrusion on the 4WD lever knocking it down from horizontal, by about 20 degrees.

When moving up into 2nd gear, for normal roadwork the driver needs to return to 2WD by raising the 4WD lever to horizontal. In the stress of driving in NI this often didn't get done.

The gadget seeks to automatically disengage 4WD as soon as 2nd gear is selected. The spring loaded plunged is depressed by the 4WD lever & becomes held down by the slide latch. Once the gear stick is moved from 1st gear it releases the retaining latch. Whereupon the plunger pushes the 4WD lever up & into 2WD.

Dscf4654a.jpg

For the EMER sniffers, the Regulation was covered in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES N 257/2 Modification Instruction No.4 Feb 1976.

It would take 4 man hours to install the kit LV9/BOE/2520-99-821-8253

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired