WHY DON'T VEHICLES COVER WHEELS WITH STEEL ARMOR PLATES?

Codeblue

Question

After replacing the old runflat tires on my ferret  with modern non-runflat tires, i started to think about  the aliens movie APC.

I couldn't find any real vehicles that actually have an armored plate in front of the tires. I thought there would be 2 main benefits of doing it.

It would be a certain level of resistance to a bullet penetrating the steel and puncturing the tire.

But also, if the tire was punctured, it would retain a large amount of its rolling diameter with the steel plate actually taking the weight of the vehicle. The lip/edge of that plate could also be widened to increase the surface area in the event of this.

So anyway, does anyone know why this seems to never be used? I wouldn't think the increase in unsprung mass would be too much of an issue.

apcbacklot7.jpg)apcbacklot5.jpgapcbacklot1.jpg

Edited by Codeblue

6 answers to this question

I'm sure there have been armoured discs attached to vehicle wheel assembles at various times and probably very good reasons they are not mainstream. I doubt an armoured or otherwise steel disc would support the weight of the vehicle or take side loadings imposed under combat conditions without buckling and becoming deformed and useless. Vehicle in the photo looks like a reworked twin stear aircraft tug

someone on a ferret forum mentioned this one..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/.../Mowag_4x4_armored...

This was the Swiss recce veh thwt served the same purpose as a Ferret. They chose to have armoured wheel covers. Most likely because: the vehs were primarily for roads and gravel tracks; the vehs were to be used in Switzerland and they knew where their own minefields were; and, the vehs were also to serve an internal security role. They were superceded by the Piranha family and became anti tank training target vehs. A number are in private hands in the UK.
2880px-MOWAG_Panzerattrappe_pic1.JPG

2 hours ago, Baz48 said:

I understood these Mowags were built and used as training aids using Dodge running gear and engines with a simple turret and pipe for a gun, I have never heard them described in the same context as a Ferret, but you learn ?

I agree with you Baz, these Mowags were used as a mobile target for infantry small arms, not anti tank weapons, the view out of these is terrible, armoured screen at the front and just very small viewing slits on the side. The turret is fixed and the gun is a dummy, and no other armament, this would not make a good recce vehicle. I believe that they used a Dodge WC 51 chassis with the engine at the rear, a friend used to own one and it was an absolute pig to drive. Rumour has it that the people that drove these on the ranges were doing it as a punishment. There was one in the reserve collection at Bovington a few years ago, I don't know if they still have it.

Edited by johnwardle

I lived in Rhodesia for a time and saw lots of the African busses with steel discs on the outside of the wheels. It was an attempt at keeping the bus on the road after a puncture, which was quite common due to the condition of lots of the roads and even more so because the equally poor condition of the tyres. Lots of Africans have lost their lives through busses careering off the road.  Ron