is WW2 jeep with different engine a good buy

startinghandle

In response to your question, I'd ask this; 'what do you want the Jeep for?' 

If you're after authenticity and counting rivets, maybe not. If you want something you can drive and have fun with, maybe. If you want something to restore to standard, maybe (all the bits are available and a welder and a grinder work wonders). If you are worried about MoT'ing something that should be roadworthy, maybe not. 

I have had stock ones and modified ones and am building a bitsa - it's the less stock ones that I have had more fun with as I haven't been worried about any green lane - or similar - damage. 

thanks for reply

I am in UK and the jeep is in Canada I have seen photos and it still  has military appearance  with canvas top , the guy selling it has some old John Deere tractors which I am interested in and the jeep can fit in container , when you say it could be worth more in parts  I am very interested to see if I can get a good deal on container load

9 hours ago, startinghandle said:

thanks for replies... I had not considered  about steering and brake and suspension improvements needed for making it safe , perhaps you guys can tell me if parts are available to make it original

There's lots of Jeeps running around with non-standard engines and there's no saying that your Chevy engine is making the thing into a hot rod - it could just be a low compression old pick-up truck engine for example especially if it's a 'farm repair'. In the UK there's lots of insurance companies that deal with modified stuff, it is nowhere as hard as it used to be to sort that sort of paperwork. If you do feel the need to change the springs or steering there's a US aftermarket that supplies everything you need - I can't see why you would need to change the steering, maybe front springs to carry any extra weight and you can always use bigger brakes off a later CJ... What I'd want to know before I bought it is how the engine swap has been done - is it an engine swap or an engine and tranny? This part of the job can be done nicely or really poorly and I wonder how the extra length on an in-line six is accommodated under the bonnet. 

(Just to illustrate that I have had a little experience of these issues; I had a Ford V6-powered Hotchkiss M201 that was one of the the 'stunt' Jeeps in Saving Pvt Ryan for a scene that was cut from the final movie. The engine/bellhousing/gearbox part of the conversion were really badly done as it was only intended to be crashed but I persevered with it for a a couple of years as it was great fun - stock brakes and steering too. Picture here shows it ahead of two others).

M201_new.jpg