2 Gallon Can

Bob Grundy

Question

I am about to fit two petrol can holders/racks to a pre-war lorry. They hold three cans each, I have the rusty cans and wish to paint them, what colour would they be on a military vehicle, still in the petrol companies colour or khaki green ?   Thanks, Bob.

14 answers to this question

The WW1 colour was black for oil and water cans. Petrol cans were to be left in the makers colours. all had P. O. or W painted on both sides in white, according to the content.

This was taken from an ASC memo dated June 1915 seen by Tim Gosling. It may be possible that this referred to reconditioned tins?

Edited by Tomo.T
New information.

13 minutes ago, Tomo.T said:

The WW1 colour was black for oil and water cans. Petrol cans were to be left in the makers colours. all had P. O. or W painted on one side in white, according to the content.

I was drawing on 53/Gen. No./5503 Handbook of Specifications for Supplies 1915,  it cites the specification 40/War Office/1837 Cans for the Carriage of Petrol (2 Gallons)

5a3d2757581a0_PetrolcanWW1(Small).jpg.89a02adb360fc0184898d6b6aa6c01c1.jpg

• Up 1

I'm sure you are right, these are simply Specifications for Supplies, I have no idea what soldiers did to them once issued :)

Although dated 1915 they were actually issued in Jan. 1916, the same spec was also applied to Contracts O/1307.

It would be interesting to peruse AOs & LoCs to see variations from this, but unfortunately I have none for this period.

Incidentally I also have specifications for Dried Onions, Pea Soup Powder, Claret, Brandy, Burgundy, Champagne, Scotch Whiskey, Irish Whiskey, Port, Stout, Light Beer, Soda Water, Semolina, Roast Fowls, Lime Juice (fortified with Rum) & a host of other necessities of warfare. If anyone wants the details let me know :)

55 minutes ago, fv1609 said:

Incidentally I also have specifications for Dried Onions, Pea Soup Powder, Claret, Brandy, Burgundy, Champagne, Scotch Whiskey, Irish Whiskey, Port, Stout, Light Beer, Soda Water, Semolina, Roast Fowls, Lime Juice (fortified with Rum) & a host of other necessities of warfare. If anyone wants the details let me know :)

Very festive Clive...... Well done that Man !

Regards

Pete

30 minutes ago, Pete Ashby said:

Very festive Clive...... Well done that Man !

Regards

Pete

Yes Pete over here we're really looking forward to the Dried Onions, Pea Soup Powder & Semolina on Christmas Day. I mean you have to spoil yourself at least once a year  :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fv1609 said:

Yes Pete over here we're really looking forward to the Dried Onions, Pea Soup Powder & Semolina on Christmas Day. I mean you have to spoil yourself at least once a year  :)

I'll go for the rum and lime, myself!  :-)

Andy

I found this on IMA's site. 2 Gallon petrol can, dated 1918, large arrow on handle with wonky spout, made by 'Grant'and obviously painted GREY. This item is now sold but pics are still available on the site. Clearly this is a big subject and there is more than one correct answer !

download.jpg

on8543__1.jpg