Royal Enfield ......Rare find

Ron

Nothing much to write about at the moment, still having problems with my back. But I did spend a gentle hour stripping the petrol tank yesterday. One tiny dent to deal with and waiting for my new bottle of 'Jenolite' to arrive before any paint is applied.

Mostly the tank had been stripped before being painted black and red. But there was still original green paint under the knee grips, and as I've found on other parts, no primer was ever used on this bike. But still that paint is very tough and hard to remove. Something to be said for that old fashioned paint that we're now denied of. Ron

DSCF0548.jpg

DSCF0549.jpg

• Like 1

HORNS.... The horn that came with Ben's bike had obviously stopped working at some time and had been gutted by a previous owner and cobbled up with a cheap Chinese horn inside it.

However Jan has found a working original 'Clearhooters HF180' in Belgium which has just arrived here. I've been studying these horns over the years and have concluded that there were three types of Clearhooters HF180's. 

first pattern (pre- war up to about 1940?) is the type with the fine bezel with 6 screws. These often (maybe always?) came with a 'Miller' (lighthouse) medallion badge. I've acquired these Miller badges in the past by buying up old Miller cycle bells.:thumbsup:

second pattern is a similar horn but with crimped rolled bezel.1940 onward.

third pattern is a cast iron type with 6 screws very similar to the Lucas Altette....These are post war. Ron

180.jpg

180-2.jpg

180-5.jpg

180-3.jpg

• Like 1

Well Jan has confirmed that not all the early horns had a Miller badge fitted. I wasn't sure about this as I've seen so few and it's easy to swap the rear cover from a later horn. He's also thrown some doubt about the model number for that early model as he's seen one with HF320 stamped on it. So far after some time looking, I haven't found any numbers on the two on my bench.

I'm still struggling with back pain Andy. It seems to be on and off all the time......It's no good:( I've got bikes to ride. Ron

Sorry to hear about your back Ron...............any professional update on that ? I did mention that you shouldn't still be leaping off the wardrobe in the bedroom at your age but you wouldn't listen........Lol !!!!

Horns for early war bikes can be a nightmare...........I suspect they followed much other equipment, on the basis of using up existing pre-war/civilian stock prior to some form of standardisation and in the meantime using whatever else was available........after all, you couldn't have the delivery of a bike held up simply because of a horn................

Aside from period photographs and using manufacturers spare's lists/Lucas/Miller lists of the period, the only person who I can think who may know a bit about horns is Taff Issac (Taf the Horn) but if you phone, set aside at least a couple of hours plus some sandwiches and refreshments as you will be on the phone at least that long............Lol...........:-)

Ben's horn body certainly had the Miller medallion and it was the first time that I'd seen it but Jan's copies of the RE factory photos around 1939 / '40 do seem to confirm that theirs were so badged.

I love these little touches, especially when they differentiate the early stuff.

Steve, I had an injection off the Doc last week and another session with the Physio today and spent most of the afternoon and evening on the bed again. Got the Doc again on Monday and hope I can talk him into referring me for some sort of Xray/Scan? 

I'm supposed to be leading two Motorcycle runs on Easter weekend and the following weekend????!!!

Ron

Ha Ha !!!! Bless him.........Ron's a real old trooper and where would we be without him ?

I must say that I'm very much enjoying following this particular restoration as I've always held a soft spot for the Model C after once owning two and doing many, many miles on one of them..............

One interesting snippet of information contained in C.A.E. Booker's title on Royal Enfield in the Pearson series of books contains the following ............"On certain of the WD/C models supplied to the Army, the vent hole in the (oil) filler cap and also the vent in the rear of the oil compartment were omitted in order to prevent the ingress of sand under conditions of desert warfare. Alternative vent holes into the timing case were provided. It may sometimes happen that an unvented filler cap, as used on these models, may be fitted to an engine which should have a vent in the filler cap. If this occurs, pressure builds up in the front half of the oil reservoir so that the oil  level is forced down in the front and build up in the back of the oil reservoir until it overflows through the rear vent passage. The remedy is to drill the vent holes in the filler cap and baffle. As there is no objection to the use of these vent holes for normal conditions of use, it is desirable always to use a filler cap in which the vent holes have been drilled"

Edited by wdbikemad

Funnily enough Steve. The first WD/C that I owned years ago, left a trail of oil up the hill from my house on it's first outing, I could see that it came from the rear crankcase vent. I never used that bike and eventually sold it in favor of my current WD/C which I considered a much more correct project bike. I wonder if my first one had an un-drilled cap?  I have seen that chapter before though.....Maybe from Jan?  Ron 

Probably a case of the above Ron............from what I remember about my own WD/C's, when rebuilding the engine ( also applies to the WD/CO by the way) it is absolutely essential to spend time making certain that all the oilways, vents and drillings in the crankcase assembly are perfectly clear and unobstructed..............common sense maybe on any bike, but far more critical perhaps on an Enfield................................

Edited by wdbikemad

I don’t think they were to concerned at the factory as when I rebuilt the export CO engine there was swarf in one of the oil ways that feeds oil to the back of the piston. Probably not a problem with new oil but old oil had clogged it solid. It would explain why the bike came without a piston and cylinder to.

I wouldn't bother with all that rubbish Ron..............I had an MRI scan a few years ago now prior to retirement from the police...........told me basically what I already knew, in that I had chronic osteoarthritis going from my ankles up to my hips and lower back (similar to rising damp !)............the reason....? Getting old !!!!!!!

Probably like you, I often forget my age and still carry-on the same as I was doing 20-30 years ago now.........nothing wrong with a spot of good medical advice every now and then, but doubt that this will change you as it didn't me...................just grumble on I guess :-)