Royal Enfield ......Rare find

Ron

Things are a bit slow at the moment, what with ill health and the lack of fasteners. But i'm always determined to get on with something. Tank knee grips fitted and although I cant fit the handlebar, I've got the cable installation out the way (yee haa) Definitely not a job for a roadside repair!!! 

Ben has sent me his rear number plate which arrived today and it looks like it's been in a tail end shunt. I'm going to do what I can with the tail lamp (these are like rocking horse poo) and straighten up the number plate. Ben wants to preserve what is left of the only remaining original 1940 marking.... on the number plate. So I'll do my best at a sympathetic restoration. 

DSCF0601.jpg

DSCF0600.jpg

DSCF0597.jpg

DSCF0603.jpg

Ron, so sorry to hear that you are still under the weather chap.........backs can be problematic things.........had my issues there for over 25 years.................mind you, leaping off the wardrobe onto the bed never really helped.........lol......but didn't care at the time.......! :-)

I do like a bit of period damage to be retained on any bike...........adds to the history and character I guess...........we will probably never know if this damage occurred during wartime or later, but still a nice touch I guess and certain you will work some sympathetic magic into this.....................best Ron, Love from Vee and me :-) xx

Hi Steve, thanks for the kind words. I'm guessing this is post war damage! See that modern wire with blue crimp connector on the lamp, and the fixing screws were all different. Yes will straighten and repair everything to the best of my ability but leave the number plate face as it is. Ron

I've spent some time on the battered number plate and tail lamp. I panel beat the number plate back into shape, stripped it... (not the number face), welded a small split and and primed and painted it satin black.

The lamp was a bit more of a challenge! I managed to gently unpeel the crimped on ally rim that was badly squashed and make the best shape out of it that I could. The red glass lens was badly scuffed and chipped. I tidied it up with a suede brush and re-painted it with stain glass paint. Then gently panel beat the main brass body into shape by using a nice fit socket inside as a dolly. I re crimped the rim back with a small amount of JP weld to help it hold together with the body and lens. Sprayed the rim with cold zinc and the body to match the bike. Rewired with a more accurate piece of rubber covered cable and tested on a 6V battery.

Just a rub over what's left of the original C number with PledgeB|  Ron

DSCF0625.jpg

DSCF0627.jpg

When Maz comes home and complains "What's that horrible smell" Just blame the pesky neighbours like I do "Gawd knows what they've been burning this time" Tut!>:(

Edited by Ron

It was a little bit scabby Rik, but I smeared a bit of JB Weld around the worst bits and it all works fine. The actual center brass part with the hex nut is live when the lamp is switched on....Which does seem a strange idea.. But seems to work fine. Ron

Mine was rock-hard and twisted. I followed  Radco's advice and burned it out before soldering it all back together again with a new diaphragm (made out of glued together inner tube :-) ) It did smoke a bit....unextinguishable too. I had to let it burn itself out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well as it happens Rik, I have this bike on the bench for a couple of jobs which has an original fuel line, which I removed and copied. But I had to adjust the width between the taps as there is about 1/4" discrepancy between the bikes. I tinned most of it, but couldn't get it to stick on the brass T piece and gave up for fear of melting the solder. So cold zinc spay on that which will probably wash of in time......Hey Ho. Something Ben can do better in the future if he's bothered.  Ron

DSCF0654.jpg

It's probably a bit less than 1/4", but once I realized they were different I couldn't use the original line as an exact reference.  I wondered if it's a discrepancy during the assembly of the tanks. Or is it that Ben's tank has spread a bit? Some bikes do have a support bar underneath the tank to stop that happening.  I really can't imagine that there were different fuel pipes. A blooming good job that I checked it and did a trial fit to Ben's tank, as it would be impossible to stretch it at all.  Ron

Spent time over the last two days, sorting out what goes where and assembling parts.  As has been discussed in an earlier post, these first WD/C's had dull chrome or nickel parts and Ben went for nickel. Inevitably some fixings will be missing  not least the metric nuts and bolts that I threw away. These will have to be replaced with cad nuts and bolts from my own stock. Ron 

DSCF0683.jpg

DSCF0685.jpg

DSCF0687.jpg