Royal Enfield ......Rare find

Ron

My activities this week have been curtailed by pulling a muscle/joint in my lower back on Sunday. Gay Wayne the Chiropractic has wrestled me on his gurney and once I get over the experience I hope to return to normal service in the very near future. :o

However I did collect the electroplated black items today, so at least the gearbox and cylinder head can be buttoned up. Ron  

DSCF0513.jpg

Well I've been semi bed ridden with this buggered back problem for getting on for two weeks now but a 1 1/2 hour session with Pippa the Physio and extra strong pain killers from the Doc has got me feeling a lot better at the mo!

So a gentle hour the other day fitting the electro black fixings and another gentle hour today, wiring in the MCR1 regulator. I've got more heavy stripping of parts to contend with when I can and tyres to fit, which I'll entrust to my local friendly tyre firm as I just can't face tyre levers yet:( Ron  

DSCF0518.jpg

DSCF0523.jpg

Exactly so Dave! It seems that Nitromors has to be safe for a toddler to drink these days and I don't know how they've got the nerve to sell it as 'paint stripper'... I buy mine in 5lt bottles from the professional auto body paint shop where I get most of my paint products. This stuff stings if you get it on your skin.  Ron

Today I stripped and cleaned the carb, rather than get involved in anything that might tweak my back again. 

The complete choke slide mechanism is missing so I've ordered new parts and some other carb parts and washers from Hitchcock's. Ron

DSCF0527.jpg

DSCF0530.jpg

The headlamp still has it's original 'pre war' type reflector with the illumination slot for the ammeter. The original ammeter is long gone and Ben has provided a slightly later one. which of course has the wrong (flat) glass and bright chrome bezel. Roy from the Netherlands is going to send me the correct dome glass. Hopefully I can remove the bezel without any damage to change the glass and do something about the chrome.  Ron 

DSCF0533.jpg

With diminishing back pain (fingers crossed) and a mild, dry, sunny day today, I finished stripping more parts and got them all primered. The Amal carb parts arrived from Hitchcock's as expected, so I also finished putting the carb back together. The tyres were fitted yesterday. Ron

DSCF0535.jpg

DSCF0536.jpg

DSCF0538.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/20/2018 at 12:45 PM, Ron said:

The headlamp still has it's original 'pre war' type reflector with the illumination slot for the ammeter. The original ammeter is long gone and Ben has provided a slightly later one. which of course has the wrong (flat) glass and bright chrome bezel. Roy from the Netherlands is going to send me the correct dome glass. Hopefully I can remove the bezel without any damage to change the glass and do something about the chrome.  Ron 

DSCF0533.jpg

Hi Ron.........you will discover that the CZ27 ammeters are capable of being disassembled although with due care...........possibly (in my experience) a job for the kitchen table in the warm !!! The bezel is held on with tabs, that need to be gently bent to remove the bezel from the ammeter body..........beware of old brass that does not always take kindly to bending, although today we have Araldite to repair broken tabs.....Lol.................you will find that the ammeter glass is stuck in the bezel with (originally) a thin rubber ring and some rubber adhesive..........this will have long-since hardened holding the glass firmly in place so it's a case of some gentle persuasion here....................once loosened, simply a clean-up and some modern sealant and replacing the glass a 5 minute job..................:-) - PS - a lot of these essentially pre-war Lucas ammeters with domed glass retained the Chrome-plated bezel even on early WD production.........my 1940 16H still has the original domed glass ammeter fitted (that works !!!) and this has a chrome bezel................unplated/painted came later...........

Edited by wdbikemad

Thanks Steve. The dome glass from NL arrived today. I have taken these ammeters apart before (with trepidation!) and have lightly bead blasted the rims for a more dull finish. I've done the same to bright chrome speedo bezels. For that reason, if I get a speedo overhauled by David Woods, to which he can only supply bright chrome (or brass). He will leave the bezel loose for me. 

However I will look into the bright chrome ammeter thing.......Although the thought is starting to make me itchB|

Regards Ron

Ron,

I was wondering about the Dome versus the Flat glass on the CZ27? I have one that has a flat glass but was wondering if it should have the Domed type? My M20 is Sept 1940. Ron, you have done a nice job on the guage, all the lettering rubbed off mine, and had to get a sticker printed.

Dave

Dave as far as I know, the dome glass was fitted to the ammeters with illumination slots behind the rim, which would then correspond with an illumination slot in the reflector. The ammeter I worked on didn't have any slots, but the reflector does, so I just made it look correct on this very early bike. It's a civilian left over and I'm sure it was soon deleted on military bikes. Ron

Yes, I'd agree with Ron on this one, that the domed glass ammeter is essentially a pre-war item that was carried over into early WD production...............

I'm sure our font of knowledge on here Rik can provide an accurate summary as his very original ex-BEF 16H has one.........Lex could also probably advise............