Ron

Royal Enfield ......Rare find

Thank you Ron. Looking better and better with every update👍🏻

That chain case rubber seal is narrower than the one I received. I see it’s sitting along the edge of the back case. I had to trim back to that edge so I wonder if I got one for a wider case? Maybe a double width chain. I should have questioned it!

Even Hitchcock's get it wrong sometimes Chris!

I hear comments often from guys who run with no oil in the chaincase "Because it always leaks straight out" But I've fitted chaincases to most makes with success and I always put oil in. The thinking that it doesn't need oil (like the rear chain) is erroneous.  The primary chain is running 3-4 times faster than the rear chain and in an enclosed hotter environment. 

Show me a bike that doesn't leak a bit of oil, and it's probably JapanesexD Ron

11 hours ago, Ron said:

Even Hitchcock's get it wrong sometimes Chris!

I hear comments often from guys who run with no oil in the chaincase "Because it always leaks straight out" But I've fitted chaincases to most makes with success and I always put oil in. The thinking that it doesn't need oil (like the rear chain) is erroneous.  The primary chain is running 3-4 times faster than the rear chain and in an enclosed hotter environment. 

Show me a bike that doesn't leak a bit of oil, and it's probably JapanesexD Ron

...or Ron Pier built it!!

The Jaeger speedo cable arrived today.  Ron

DSCF0731.jpg

I collected the exhaust system from the blaster on Wednesday. I've sanded, sprayed and fitted it. I think it's as good as a 78 year old exhaust is going to be. 

These early WD Royal Enfield's had a headstock transfer which I'll fit tomorrow.

I'm just waiting for the saddle to have it's new cover made, but I heard that he'd become ill and was taken into hospital. He's out of hospital now and convalescing at the moment.  Ron  

DSCF0759.jpg

DSCF0760.jpg

• Like 1

Hi.... great job looks even better in the flesh!  Thanks for the hospitality yesterday.! 

I had it running again today for about 15-20 minutes and did some adjustments to the carb. The internal pull twist grip works exactly as it should but the action of these is not to my own personal liking. The gears are all clicking through nicely. 

It's now just held up awaiting the new saddle cover.  In the meantime I've parked it up under 'Crazy Horse'  Ron

DSCF0762.jpg

• Like 1

Well Jan has whispered in my ear that the headlamp rim should be black. So that was my mistake and I've  resprayed it. Sometimes a slightly different shade of grey in B&W photos is not that obvious! Ron

DSCF0776.jpg

That's interesting, Ron. Norton contract C5109 had a rim in service colour - but these parts were supplied by Lucas who had been offering the 8" DU142 in a WD version for some time.

This is what we are looking at Rik. Jan tells me that the difference in shade between the rim and shell is black....and who am I to argue?  Ron

666.png

667.png

Certainly not as black as the (gloss) numberplate though. I'm not convinced that they all were...

Royal Enfield Jan (2).jpg

Was a black headlight an early thing?

I had a number of NOS rims that came in Matt black as spares and labled as such. I also have a NOS DU42 lamp that has matching rim and shell so any combo could have been possible. I’ve also seen gas detector paint on the top of the lamps carried out IAW an EMER in late 1940?

• Like 1