Royal Enfield ......Rare find

Ron

That chain case rubber seal is narrower than the one I received. I see it’s sitting along the edge of the back case. I had to trim back to that edge so I wonder if I got one for a wider case? Maybe a double width chain. I should have questioned it!

Even Hitchcock's get it wrong sometimes Chris!

I hear comments often from guys who run with no oil in the chaincase "Because it always leaks straight out" But I've fitted chaincases to most makes with success and I always put oil in. The thinking that it doesn't need oil (like the rear chain) is erroneous.  The primary chain is running 3-4 times faster than the rear chain and in an enclosed hotter environment. 

Show me a bike that doesn't leak a bit of oil, and it's probably JapanesexD Ron

11 hours ago, Ron said:

Even Hitchcock's get it wrong sometimes Chris!

I hear comments often from guys who run with no oil in the chaincase "Because it always leaks straight out" But I've fitted chaincases to most makes with success and I always put oil in. The thinking that it doesn't need oil (like the rear chain) is erroneous.  The primary chain is running 3-4 times faster than the rear chain and in an enclosed hotter environment. 

Show me a bike that doesn't leak a bit of oil, and it's probably JapanesexD Ron

...or Ron Pier built it!!

• 2 weeks later...

I collected the exhaust system from the blaster on Wednesday. I've sanded, sprayed and fitted it. I think it's as good as a 78 year old exhaust is going to be. 

These early WD Royal Enfield's had a headstock transfer which I'll fit tomorrow.

I'm just waiting for the saddle to have it's new cover made, but I heard that he'd become ill and was taken into hospital. He's out of hospital now and convalescing at the moment.  Ron  

DSCF0759.jpg

DSCF0760.jpg

• Like 1

I had it running again today for about 15-20 minutes and did some adjustments to the carb. The internal pull twist grip works exactly as it should but the action of these is not to my own personal liking. The gears are all clicking through nicely. 

It's now just held up awaiting the new saddle cover.  In the meantime I've parked it up under 'Crazy Horse'  Ron

DSCF0762.jpg

• Like 1

Well Jan has whispered in my ear that the headlamp rim should be black. So that was my mistake and I've  resprayed it. Sometimes a slightly different shade of grey in B&W photos is not that obvious! Ron

DSCF0776.jpg

I had a number of NOS rims that came in Matt black as spares and labled as such. I also have a NOS DU42 lamp that has matching rim and shell so any combo could have been possible. I’ve also seen gas detector paint on the top of the lamps carried out IAW an EMER in late 1940?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ron - I've followed the whole restoration process with much interest. The finished bike looks great!

I've actually learnt a lot about properly restoring a bike from your posts and pictures - so thanks for taking the time to share everything.

Hope your back is finally better!

Nice to start with such an original bike Jan. Most have lost lots of their original bits by now. A sister bike to yours!  I'm currently removing the number plate from my own WD/C that shouldn't be there (later contract). It will require a front mudguard respray of course. I'll post a picture when it's done. Ron 

Glad that you and several other guys found it interesting Gary. It's no problem for me to take pictures and write about it. If it helps someone with their restoration or if I learn something myself, (which I always do) then it's worth it. 

I also enjoy any banter and piss taking which I can take as well as give😉 

Which reminds me! I'm holding the bike under lock and key until Ben the owner pays me the ransom of the part I need to borrow off another vehicle.  😈 Ron

• Like 1

Here is my own WD/C. Still 1940 but from a later contract than Ben's. I've just done a few updates and corrections. 

I copied the markings (well offside anyway) from this picture which looks like some sort of trial or test ride. Steve M. gave me the colour coordinates for the green/red square. The other side (3rd Inf Div) is just artistic license. 

DSCF0838.jpg

DSCF0836.jpg

Scan_20180622.jpg

• Like 1