Royal Enfield ......Rare find

Ron

Nice one Jan. Only real difference I notice, is Ben's top shelf of the number plate is angled down to meet the original holes?: I had to bend it down which doesn't seem right. But the plate and the holes are original, apart from it being all bent and twisted when I received it and I never saw it attached to the bike originally......Anyone got a picture? .....Out of interest.  Ron

20 hours ago, Ron said:

Nice one Jan. Only real difference I notice, is Ben's top shelf of the number plate is angled down to meet the original holes?: I had to bend it down which doesn't seem right. But the plate and the holes are original, apart from it being all bent and twisted when I received it and I never saw it attached to the bike originally......Anyone got a picture? .....Out of interest.  Ron

This is indeed how we found this bike Ron. And although most contract C5107 pictures show a "straight" top shelf, I have at least two examples with a similarly bent top shelf. Strange eh... Did they make a batch with the rib too deep down the mudguard? Can't imagine another reason...

Jan

Schermafbeelding 2018-04-23 om 20.00.09.png

WD-C_1.jpg

Schermafbeelding 2018-04-23 om 20.01.38.png

Jan and I had a serious rivet-counter's discussion about this Ron.  It really does seem  that they drilled the mounts at the end of the rib..I think we half-wondered if some guards had longer ribs for a reason.

It was a small contract though and it would only have taken one off-day with a mis-read drawing to show up on survivors or Photographs. In theory still, a UK numberplate has to be mounted vertically (although modern bikes seem to take liberties).

I’ve a feeling the rib on my mudguard extends a long way but the number plate has been tightened on to it and flattened the rim. I’ll try and get a photo of it.

Ron, I found the Hitchcocks seal to wide for my cases as I could assemble the footrest crossbar correctly with out distorting the outer case. I compared it to the original and found it about 5mm wider. I trimmed off 5mm with a scalpel, not pretty but it was out of site.

Thanks for the heads up Chris. This bike didn't have an original to study! It just had a piece of foam rubber glued around the inner case. I'm waiting for an update from Hitchcock's on availability, in the mean time Jan has offered to loan me a new one to be replaced at a later date.  Ron

We have lights!! Just the horn to finish wiring in to complete that task.

I've bead blasted the bright chrome rims of the refurbished speedo, ammeter and new stainless switch panel screws.. I'll measure up accurately and order a cable for the Jaeger pattern speedo.  Ron

DSCF0706.jpg

DSCF0705.jpg

DSCF0709.jpg

DSCF0710.jpg

Ha Ha Jan. I was nearly going to ask you about the speedo cable. I think your first one was 1/2" too short. But I have the advantage of being able to confirm it with JJ by phone before manufacture.

I try to make it like a story book with pictures. Great minds think alike!  Ron

The wiring is finished and all working and I've fitted more parts. 

Hitchock's phoned to say that the primary seals are in stock, so that's on it's way with a couple of other final parts, and the speedo cable is on order. The saddle is still away having its new cover made. Ron

DSCF0717.jpg

DSCF0718.jpg

The primary case seal arrived and fortunately I didn't need to cut it down.  I glued  the bottom edge with 'EXTREME' silicone and wedged it while it set.... to stop it drooping. Then lots of grease smeared all round the seal to ease the cover on. 

The crankcase, gearbox and chaincase are all topped up with oil with no signs of any leakage..........Yet!  Ron

DSCF0719.jpg

DSCF0720.jpg

DSCF0721.jpg

Tank fitted and heart pounding I added some petrol. The left side NOS tap was weeping all night so I had to drain the tank and re-cork the tap this morning. With that done there are no apparent fuel or oil leaks now.

The exhaust system is next on the agenda , But I decided to kick the engine over anyway. It fired on the first prod and then died immediately.  This continued for a dozen kicks or so, until I gave it some choke, and it then fired up and continued running on a fast choked tick over until I pulled off the choke and it then ran quite smoothly, all be it noisily-_-

However I'd momentarily forgotten that these are slack wire advance so I'd started and ran it on full retard.:$ 

I'll attend to the exhaust before a re-start. Ron

DSCF0729.jpg

DSCF0728.jpg

DSCF0727.jpg

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1