MK3 Covenanter restoration

eddy8men

59 minutes ago, dgrev said:

Rick

I am astounded anything has survived being buried in your climate. I know you said the chalk was free draining, but how

does that account for the hull not holding water and being one big pile of rust?

Regards

Doug

Have you seen how many holes are in that hull, like a sieve I bet!! Lol

I just read up on the history of Meadows, never heard of them before but they were such an important player in engine design and production for  half a century.  Based on what I could find the 16 liter DAV 12 cylinder was designed specifically as a tank engine? Today a flat-12 cylinder is pretty much standard MBT propulsion, does anyone know  if Meadows design was the first to do this? If  so it would be a pretty important historical piece in and of itself.

covenanter-3.jpg

hopefully you can restore it? Other than the blown-off vale-cover on one side and knackered valve gear, how bad is the rest , have you had a chance to go deeper?

The Covenanter though, what a strange machine. Hard to imagine they made 1,700 of these things and only 4 or 5 left in the world.  Rick this might be the rarest vehicle you'll ever own!

covenanter-7.jpg

Edited by draganm

i have to say it's a little unusual but i really like it. it will be a bit of a pig to restore but worth it.

the first thing i thought when it came out of the ground was just how much it reminded me of a churchill. flat 12, scirrocco fan and tiller bar steering 

with the help of a couple of friends i've started a page on facebook but i'll keep the updates coming.

the drivers comparment, like the rest of the tank was in amazing condition. which is fortunate as it would be a long hard struggle trying to replicate the various controls due to the fact that unlike most tanks that use hydraulics the covenanter uses compressed air.

IMG_20171228_154632621.jpg

21 hours ago, eddy8men said:

with the help of a couple of friends i've started a page on facebook but i'll keep the updates coming.

the drivers comparment, like the rest of the tank was in amazing condition. which is fortunate as it would be a long hard struggle trying to replicate the various controls due to the fact that unlike most tanks that use hydraulics the covenanter uses compressed air.

IMG_20171228_154632621.jpg

Whats the Facebook page called please Rick ? Happy New Year by the way .

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

technically i'm not starting the restoration just yet. it's more of a tear down and assessment, although i do the odd bit :) i have two carriers, a charioteer and a centurion to restore first.

i have managed to source pretty much all the parts i need to restore it to running condition with the exception of the engine. this is a big unknown and would be hard to replace with anything other than another flat 12 engine. i just hope we can find someone to work a miracle with it! 

IMG_20171218_151010578.jpg

IMG_20171218_151019157.jpg

Rick. I think realistically this engine is even beyond your talents. True, given enough money and determination anything is possible, but given your success in locating all the other parts needed, then hopefully a restoreable engine will come to light.

Regards

Doug

don't give up on it just yet. i'm going to put it in a tank of oil and light a fire under it now and again. i hope the heating and cooling will loosen it up, after that i've got an engine guy that will pull it apart and then we'll know how bad it is 

• Like 2

In my own humble opinion, I.think you are quite right to not give up on this engine; it is astonishing what can be achieved these days, in terms of recovering and remanufacturing parts. That said, should you be resourceful enough to find a nice NOS engine in a crate somewhere, then it would be silly not to....

If it's an it's an Iron block and Iron heads (which it appears to be), then as long as you have the Camshaft, crank,  and connecting rods it's useable.  Remaining mechanical parts can be made within a reasonable cost, at least reasonable in terms of Uber-rare historic MV terms.

one concern is carburetors/fuel and ignition system,   is any of that stuff there?

grandson of Henry Meadows, John Meadows,  appears to still be around,  there's a site dedicated to some goofy little car called the "frisky" built by Meadows in the 60's.  Maybe a place to check for leads on CAV12 parts? 

http://www.meadowsfrisky.co.uk/page3.htm