The Museum of RAF Firefighting at RAF Scampton, Lincolnshire, Closure.

ploughman

Not seen any mention of this.

From the BBC Lincolnshire news pages.

The country's only Ministry of Defence firefighting museum has begun to move its vehicles from the home of the Red Arrows to a new site.

The Museum of RAF Firefighting at RAF Scampton, Lincolnshire, closed as space was needed to organise an airshow.

The museum had a presence in Scampton's hangars for about 14 years and shut in January.

Some of the 50 vehicles left for a new site about 16 miles (25km) away in Gainsborough, due to open in 2018.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-42123472

• Up 1

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for posting the link. The man behind the museum is Steve Shirley. I first met him in the early 1990's when he was stationed at RAF Manston, some of the fire-fighting school's vehicles used to come to the REME workshops for repairs and overhauls. He had started to build the museum up in a redundant building there. I was involved in the restoration of two of the early vehicles in his collection, the 1950's ex-Royal Navy Dennis F12 and the Land Rover TACR1. Sometimes taking them out to local events. The museum had to move and it ended up at Scampton, sadly they have had to move again. I very much hope they have found somewhere suitable and they are able to open up to the public, there are some interesting vehicles in the collection and Steve is very dedicated, I wish him luck.

regards, Richard