Orders for marking vehicles prior to D-Day

simon king

I think SHAEF sent out a single order to all Allied unit commanders (British and US) in the run-up to D-Day concerning the need to mark vehicles, material etc with unit serial numbers accompanied by the three coloured bar marking.

I am sure I have seen a copy of this order on the web somewhere but I can’t find it now. Can anybody point me in the direction of this order please.

Many thanks

Yes - thanks for that - saw that but was trying to find the actual order that went to unit commanders in both US and Commonwealth units telling them to paint unit serial numbers and colour bars on vehicles prior to D-Day. I wanted to see if there is any reference to specific number /colour combinations in the order. I am sure the same order went to all Allied unit commanders

I know there were initially separate combinations promulgated for use by US and Commonwealth units (bar Canada who had their own system) but i wanted to see whether these separate combinations remained in use during/post D-Day or whether the number/colour combinations were standardised across Allied forces prior to the invasion.

Cheers

Edited by simon king