bigduke6

Universal Carriers blueprints/ books etc

Does anyone know a good source of Drawings/blueprints of the Universal carriers 

I've been looking for the plans for the hull with sizes and gauge of the steel etc, 

I,ve seen 3 books by Nigel Watson and the 3rd Volume looks like it has what I'm looking for just wonder if anyone has the book and if it has the detailed plans of the hull.

Hi. Don't know if this is any good to you not being 100% on carriers, but the National Archives have a hull drawing of a Bren  Carrier No2, MK 1/L and MK 2/L.  Classed as a large drawing Record No WO 194/154 and dated Dec 1938.

Any help.

P.B  

The drawings that you will hopefully get are for the pre-war 'Bren Carrier' and not the usual common or garden Universal Carrier. There are only one or two of these in the entire world as far as I know, one is in Australia. If you are going to make one of these actual Bren Gun Carriers then its wonderful, you have my admiration and good luck!

Bob there are a total of only 3 real Bren Carriers left on the globe. There are two (of the six) built in the U.K in 1938 that  came to N.Z. in 1939. HMH243 and HMH244 survive. I have rebuilt one of the 40 Bren carriers built by NZ railways in 1941. All 3 are MkI Brens. No MkIIs survive. There is in England a Scout carrier. that was in Australia (70 years) It is the sole surviving Scout. These are all "runners".

Duke I have all three of Nigel's books but will need some time to go through them, but you would definitely find loads of advice and information and blokes with UC CAD drawing on here   http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php  Ron

Carrier 002.jpg

Edited by Ron

It might be better to get the book vol 3 with the box of  the Drawings/blueprints of the Universal carriers .

Keith

bren book vol 3 box.JPG

The national archive of Australia has all the drawings for the LP 2 carrier if that is of any use 

Thanks to all and must apologise for the late reply,  been a busy last few months with work etc, also had the pleasure of two weeks in BATUS......with very limited comms too.

The Volume 3 book looks to be very interesting.

On 11/03/2018 at 6:00 AM, Gina said:

The national archive of Australia has all the drawings for the LP 2 carrier if that is of any use 

Are they available online Gina, or do you have to go to the archives?

Cheers. 

They are online on the national archives site ...I will look out the barcode if you are interested .

10 hours ago, Gina said:

They are online on the national archives site ...I will look out the barcode if you are interested .

Cheers Gina, Much appreciated!

Plans and specifications for Armoured Fighting Vehicles]
Contents date range
1941 - 1943
Series number
MP392/8
Click to see which government agency or person created this item.
Control symbol
Citation
NAA: MP392/8, 5
Item barcode
Access status
Open
Date of decision
23 May 1985
Physical format
PAPER FILES AND DOCUMENTS (allocated at series level)
Extent
4 cm
Date registered

12 Sep 1992

• Like 1

use National Archives of Australia search the collection. The bar code is enough to get you there . There is a PDF download symbol click it and you have the plans .

• Like 1