Jump to content
ferretfixer

Thoughts on the New Forum Layout?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Degsy said:

In Britain the date has always been written as DD/MM/YYYY ...

Sadly not true, as with most generalisms with language, it is merely the most common form. Over the years I have learned to appreciate the YYYY-MM-DD format, as I have to edit texts from all over the world, but I do not feel the need for a birthday function on this forum.

trevor, in Poland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GeePig said:

Sadly not true, as with most generalisms with language, it is merely the most common form. Over the years I have learned to appreciate the YYYY-MM-DD format, as I have to edit texts from all over the world, but I do not feel the need for a birthday function on this forum.

trevor, in Poland

If it is merely the most common form of dating an item or event then it seems sensible to use it as a standard some how 1944 June 6 to me doesn't flow as easily as the 6th of June 1944 - a personal opinion 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Baz48 said:

If it is merely the most common form of dating an item or event then it seems sensible to use it as a standard some how 1944 June 6 to me doesn't flow as easily as the 6th of June 1944 - a personal opinion 

The YYYY-MM-DD format is 1944-06-06, which many Windows desktop and laptop machines use in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I was not suggesting that it should be used here.

 

Trevor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GeePig said:

The YYYY-MM-DD format is 1944-06-06, which many Windows desktop and laptop machines use in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I was not suggesting that it should be used here.

 

Trevor

It's a matter of preference the desktop I'm using is set for day - month - year and this is as set from new, it's from Italy not I suspect that makes any difference as I said preference   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problems with the new layout of the forum.

Maybe because I don't use all features?

It takes a little time to get used to the changes but after a few weeks it will feel as if it was allways like this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only real problem I have is that whenever I open a new post, the site goes to the first post of a thread.  This requires me to go to the last post of a thread and scan down to the final post . . . which is actually the newest post.  I've tried to reset the thread to post the newest post first, but darned if  I can get it to work.

 

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BosunAl said:

The only real problem I have is that whenever I open a new post, the site goes to the first post of a thread.  This requires me to go to the last post of a thread and scan down to the final post . . .

If you click on the posted time part from the New Posts page (i.e. 6 Hours ago) it takes you to that particular post rather than the beginning of the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or read the other threads on this subject where the green circle or star has been mentioned dozens of times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I thought it might be 'Interesting' (Or not to some!) to follow up on my thoughts.

On the 'New' Forum layout.   I still do not like it as much as the old Forum appearance.

I used to visit the old site daily. I now haven't bothered to come on here again for Months.

I still feel it has 'Lost' something.....:(          Sorry if any Admin are 'Upset' by my comments.

I did not intend that at all.     To Me, it just doesn't seem as nice as the orig layout. But that is just Me.  However, I am at least being honest about it. 

That is MY Personal Feeling about it. There may well be others who feel similarly?

I am grateful however, that at least some of you admin chaps. Have actually bothered & made an

Effort in introducing this new layout. To at least keep the forum going! I TOTALLY support

That! ;)  

Small Potato's I know. but I took the time to at least follow up on my very first Post on This Topic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:28 AM, ferretfixer said:

On the 'New' Forum layout.   I still do not like it as much as the old Forum appearance

Now I'm used to the new forum layout, I don't have complaints.

I think, that the contents of the posts on the forum are more important than the layout, a fantastic forum with all the whistles & bells and easy to use is useless, if no one is posting on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with MatchFuzee . . . now that I've gotten used to it, I have no trouble finding what I want.

Bosun Al

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still cannot get used to it.  Sorry.

I only visit once a week max instead of every day.  Out of interest, what are the traffic numbers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't get used to it, just wandered off.

I haven't visited in months.  The only reason I'm here now is the new post in thread notification.  I might come back some day, but I've enough annoyances without a recreational forum having high friction for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...