Thoughts on the New Forum Layout?

ferretfixer

10 hours ago, Degsy said:

In Britain the date has always been written as DD/MM/YYYY ...

Sadly not true, as with most generalisms with language, it is merely the most common form. Over the years I have learned to appreciate the YYYY-MM-DD format, as I have to edit texts from all over the world, but I do not feel the need for a birthday function on this forum.

trevor, in Poland

5 hours ago, GeePig said:

Sadly not true, as with most generalisms with language, it is merely the most common form. Over the years I have learned to appreciate the YYYY-MM-DD format, as I have to edit texts from all over the world, but I do not feel the need for a birthday function on this forum.

trevor, in Poland

If it is merely the most common form of dating an item or event then it seems sensible to use it as a standard some how 1944 June 6 to me doesn't flow as easily as the 6th of June 1944 - a personal opinion 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Baz48 said:

If it is merely the most common form of dating an item or event then it seems sensible to use it as a standard some how 1944 June 6 to me doesn't flow as easily as the 6th of June 1944 - a personal opinion 

The YYYY-MM-DD format is 1944-06-06, which many Windows desktop and laptop machines use in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I was not suggesting that it should be used here.

Trevor

3 hours ago, GeePig said:

The YYYY-MM-DD format is 1944-06-06, which many Windows desktop and laptop machines use in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I was not suggesting that it should be used here.

Trevor

It's a matter of preference the desktop I'm using is set for day - month - year and this is as set from new, it's from Italy not I suspect that makes any difference as I said preference   

The only real problem I have is that whenever I open a new post, the site goes to the first post of a thread.  This requires me to go to the last post of a thread and scan down to the final post . . . which is actually the newest post.  I've tried to reset the thread to post the newest post first, but darned if  I can get it to work.

Al

7 hours ago, BosunAl said:

The only real problem I have is that whenever I open a new post, the site goes to the first post of a thread.  This requires me to go to the last post of a thread and scan down to the final post . . .

If you click on the posted time part from the New Posts page (i.e. 6 Hours ago) it takes you to that particular post rather than the beginning of the thread.

• 4 months later...

Well, I thought it might be 'Interesting' (Or not to some!) to follow up on my thoughts.

On the 'New' Forum layout.   I still do not like it as much as the old Forum appearance.

I used to visit the old site daily. I now haven't bothered to come on here again for Months.

I still feel it has 'Lost' something.....:(          Sorry if any Admin are 'Upset' by my comments.

I did not intend that at all.     To Me, it just doesn't seem as nice as the orig layout. But that is just Me.  However, I am at least being honest about it. 

That is MY Personal Feeling about it. There may well be others who feel similarly?

I am grateful however, that at least some of you admin chaps. Have actually bothered & made an

Effort in introducing this new layout. To at least keep the forum going! I TOTALLY support

That! ;)  

Small Potato's I know. but I took the time to at least follow up on my very first Post on This Topic.

• Like 2

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:28 AM, ferretfixer said:

On the 'New' Forum layout.   I still do not like it as much as the old Forum appearance

Now I'm used to the new forum layout, I don't have complaints.

I think, that the contents of the posts on the forum are more important than the layout, a fantastic forum with all the whistles & bells and easy to use is useless, if no one is posting on it.

I didn't get used to it, just wandered off.

I haven't visited in months.  The only reason I'm here now is the new post in thread notification.  I might come back some day, but I've enough annoyances without a recreational forum having high friction for me.