WD flying flea kickstart

Flying_flea

When restoring a WD Flea, it is absolutely essential to have three things to hand..................firstly, a WD spare parts book, secondly a post-war civvy equivalent to compare numbers, etc, and thirdly a WD workshop manual that is extremely detailed...................aside from that, plenty of period images to hand....................

First thing to remember is the WD Flea was based on the pre-war "Royal Baby", itself based on the similar DKW...............the post-war Flea was based on these earlier examples, not the other way round...................whilst you CAN modify a post-WW2 bike to look "WD" to be totally accurate it is rather a lot of work at the end of the day and numerous parts differ in pattern and detail............

I have a lot of the answers on WD Flea's.............you only have to ask................

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Regarding Flea wheels..............pre-war "Royal Baby's" started at Frame No. 1001.........these had cup and cone bearings in the wheels up to frame 3100..............the next sequence from 3101 to 4140 had ball-journal bearings.......................

Wartime Flea (WD/RE) production manufacture commenced in volume at Frame 4141 back to cup and cone wheel bearings up to Frame 8170..............thereafter from frame 8171 upwards back to ball-journal bearings....................my own WD Flea has one wheel fitted with ball journal bearings, the other with cup and cone !!! Doubtless a workshop replacement at some point............

Steve, the RB's started with framenumber 101, mine is 208, (engine numbers were matching, with an "E" prefix) and another here in Holland is 1321, but that came from Scotland, the first export series to Holland, were 100 pieces, just before the outbreak of the war. but mine and another with framenumber 256? were always in Holland, and hidden during the war, so at least 155 were delivered to Holland in 1939.

Have much info on the RB's, interesting piece of shXt ! (technically even worse then the Flea)

Cheers,

Lex

170820111959.jpg

1 hour ago, welbike said:

Steve, the RB's started with framenumber 101, mine is 208, (engine numbers were matching, with an "E" prefix) and another here in Holland is 1321, but that came from Scotland, the first export series to Holland, were 100 pieces, just before the outbreak of the war. but mine and another with framenumber 256? were always in Holland, and hidden during the war, so at least 155 were delivered to Holland in 1939.

Have much info on the RB's, interesting piece of shXt ! (technically even worse then the Flea)

Cheers,

Lex

170820111959.jpg

Hi Lex...........info came from a 1948 Edition of the "Pearson" series on Royal Enfield, written by C A E Booker who was service manager at Enfield's.............he must therefore had info to factory despatch records though we can't argue with your evidence either.................what does Jan Vanderville think about pre-war RE Baby production.......?

Steve, there are no  postwar orders for anything  flea in the factory dispatch records, There was nothing at all for engine number G4711 (Swedish export engine) in the dispatch records, and nothing for the Belgian order that I asked Jan a month ago, and he and the R.E. guy in the UK had never even heard of that!!

Now there is some info on the prewar RB's, and it seems 70 were delivered, with gaps, and after that the record keeping went awry.

"50 Bikes with frame numbers 103 - 152 inclusive are Model RB Deluxe despatched in July 1939".

But cannot post more without permission from Jan.

Cheers,

Lex

004.png

Thanks Lex. That's very interesting...........I have seen WD Flea's with odd prefixes, and in some cases suffixes to the engine number that is usually prefixed by a "V" (thought, though not confirmed, to indicate the fitting of the Villiers carburetter)...........

We also know that these numbers are individual engine "build" numbers and like the ML, seem to have been allocated at random therefore not matching the frame number..............however, the latter is (usually) duplicated on the engine crankcase on the top behind the cylinder and below the carburetter illustrating the particular machine to which installed originally.......

My Flea too (first contract) also carries the original tyres...........they're rather hard nowadays and were a bugger to remove/fit, but with new tubes fitted they're okay........I calculated that the Flea is never going to see mileage other than at the odd show therefore road use is not an issue..........and in any case the bonus is that hard tyres stop them from going flat !!!!!

Yes Steve, first thing I asked the owner of the Swedish bike, for more numbers, but there's nothing at all!

Have picked up some original tyres over the years, have to replace the rear soon.

Will take some pictures of the Flea in the dropcage next week, it's going for a display!

Lex

Edited by welbike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

has anyone got a photo of their inner chain casing I’ve made a template but I’m not sure if there’s a washer/flange braized to the plate? Any help is appreciated.

also I seem to missing the clutch sprocket and the front clutch plate if anyone has one to spare could they let me know please :)

cheers Sam

Edited by Flying_flea