WD flying flea kickstart

Flying_flea

11 hours ago, Flying_flea said:

Also lex, as I’m in Essex and might not be able to make it to Malvern military show this time round, would it be possible to buy a riders handbook if you would sell one?:) 

Cheers Sam

Hi Sam, yes offcourse, send me an email or pm trough the forum, and we'll sort things out.

Cheers, Lex

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Davey089 said:

Hello Sam

I'll get into the garage and dig the stop out , I have a throttle handlebar plug (which I bought from Terry ) then I found the original one :),  I also have a pair of canvas grips with the brass ferrules spare which I think I bought off Lex ? a while ago :)

Dave

2176 (1).jpg

Edited by Davey089

On 07/11/2017 at 10:39 AM, Flying_flea said:

Thank you Dave 

sam

Well Sam , I've found the throttle stop and canvas grips and ferrules , but the throttle plug must be in a safe place , that safe I cant find the damn thing at the moment 

Dave

14 hours ago, Davey089 said:

Well Sam , I've found the throttle stop and canvas grips and ferrules , but the throttle plug must be in a safe place , that safe I cant find the damn thing at the moment 

Dave

Haha okay, thank you Dave did you manage to find the rubber suspension band at all?

Cheers sam

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 5:11 PM, Davey089 said:

Sorry  not come across it yet 

Hi Dave,

if you can’t find the throttle plug it’s okay, I’m still happy to buy the other parts :)

also do you have any rubber bump stops and all the other bands as all of my rubber bits have perished? 

Cheers sam 

1 hour ago, Flying_flea said:

Hi Dave,

if you can’t find the throttle plug it’s okay, I’m still happy to buy the other parts :)

also do you have any rubber bump stops and all the other bands as all of my rubber bits have perished? 

Cheers sam 

Hi Sam

Yes I do have a complete set of bands 4 of the smaller and the long thin one , do you need the spindle rubber ? I have those aswell . Sorry I don’t have the bump stops , I made some up from a piece of round solid rubber I found laid about :)

cheers

Dave

Edited by Davey089

1 hour ago, Davey089 said:

Hi Sam

Yes I do have a complete set of bands 4 of the smaller and the long thin one , do you need the spindle rubber ? I have those aswell . Sorry I don’t have the bump stops , I made some up from a piece of round solid rubber I found laid about :)

cheers

Dave

Yes please, and it’s okay I’ll see if I can make one aswell. How much are you looking at for the set and other bits?

Also thank you for the link Ron it’s much appreciated :)

cheers sam

Terry's (Metal Magic) reproduction kick-start assemblies were copied from an original and are extremely accurate........so buy with confidence........Terry also produces an extremely accurate copy of the Air-Maze filter assembly (actually better than the original as with improved filter element inside)...........Arnaud did make the name plates as stated earlier..........

As for the handlebar end-plugs, two types exist.......the first pattern fitted completely inside the handlebar and was used up to Frame No. 7168, the second pattern used from Frame 7169 incorporating a narrow flange wider than the handlebar to prevent the twist-grip rotor tube sliding off the end of the 'bar...........I may have a spare or two somewhere of the later pattern........

Note that the Flea's WD canvas grips are unique to the model, being factory-fitted onto very thin steel tubes that are a close fit on the handlebar.......both the left grip and the throttle share the same part number therefore are supposedly identical....there should be sufficient room at the end of the canvas grip brass ferules (steel never used on Flea grips) to expose sufficient of the steel inner-tube to mount the throttle cable flange on.....................as for the dummy left-hand grip, this was secured to the 'bar by a small grub screw underneath the 'bar through the exposed end of the steel inner-tube (a hole may need to be drilled for this in the tube ?)........if you have a set of original handlebars then you should find a small hole underneath the left-hand side about 6 inches up from the end of the 'bar................

Note that the carburetor used on the Flea is not the same as that used on the James ML.............it used a different (non-standard) needle and jet............both these parts are available from Villiers Services...........

A quantity of Flying Flea's (possibly up to 1500) from all contracts were retained post-war by the War Department for use by Airborne forces and Glider Operations...they were also post-war military registered under the new numbering system.......these were in reality little used if at all and remained in storage under "care and maintenance" and all were disposed of during the early 1950's. My own Flea from the first contract was not disposed of until 1955, being civvy registered in 1956..............

Contract plates used on Flea's were the stamped steel variety, brass not being used...........1st contract had the tag wrapped around the left-rear seat-tube just above the chainguard and secured with a screw and nut...........subsequent contracts had the contract tag riveted to the rear mudguard................saying that, my own Flea from the first contract actually had the contract plate hidden and affixed to the top cross-bar of the stand by way of wrapping around and the usual screw and nut fixing..........

Another source for Flea parts is Burton Bike Bits.............you can browse on-line but you need to use the original part numbers..........I managed to get several bare twist grip tubes, twist grip cable clamps and throttle stops from there only last year, all NOS..........worth a try or phone call maybe ?

13 hours ago, Flying_flea said:

Yes please, and it’s okay I’ll see if I can make one aswell. How much are you looking at for the set and other bits?

Also thank you for the link Ron it’s much appreciated :)

cheers sam

Hi Sam

I'll see what I paid for them and you can have them for the same price .I'll get them into a Jiffy bag and get along to the PO and get a postage cost .

Cheers

Dave

Some further Flying Flea observations..........:-)

The tyre pump, although given a RE part number, was a standard commercial pattern also used on the James ML...........note that unlike the majority of other WD motorcycles, the pump used on the Flea and James did NOT have the foot stirrup (RON !)....

The last two large Flea contracts were fitted with a "banana" shaped flat steel plate mounted on hexagon posts at the top/front of the magneto cover........the first contract didn't feature this........the plate was intended to protect the HT lead pick-up from damage.....

The Flea HT lead does not feature the usual WD-type immobiliser.......this is because the entire HT lead could be easily detached..........the lead however does feature a waterproof rubber cap for the HT connection, the resistor, and the large "bell-shaped" Lodge brand plug cap........the later are rather hard to find nowadays and also fitted to the James ML.................

Repro Miller points are at long last now available (Villiers Services, etc) but condensors are not..........I used a standard modern condensor suitably adapted to fit..............

The Flea decompressor assembly in the cylinder head is not the same as the Villiers item fitted to the James ML but are available from Hitchcock's, etc...............

Note that on the various control cables, specifically clutch, front-brake and decompressor, special ferules are used to fit the cables into the handlebar levers/mounts..............I never buy modern cables for the Flea, preferring to make my own using as many original fittings as possible.................

Miller lightswitch is unique to the WD Flea......positions "Ch, H, T, P"............Arnaud was making excellent replicas of the WD switch tops and knob........the beauty of most Miller switches compared to Lucas is you can strip them down completely and change the top over............underneath, you may have to move some of the terminal posts around which are riveted in place but with care these can be drilled out and remounted.....................

Point taken about the pump Steve and I've removed the stirrup on my Flea pump for visual effect. I met a guy with some suitable pumps for the ML . I bought two of them and sent one to Doc in USA. Never thought about getting one for the Flea but I think I might still have his number somewhere.

Steve have you got the part number for the Flea twist-grip and dummy tube? as my book only lists it complete with canvas grip. I had a batch of replicas and brass ferules machined up, but all gone now. Ron

Lightweights 299.JPG

Hi Ron.......hope you and the Boss are well. Seemingly, the dummy grip and throttle grip were only supplied as a complete assembly for the WD Flea with the canvas grip and ferules already fitted......part number 30480...........

Post war, the canvas WD grips were no longer required as rubber grips now fitted, therefore only one steel tube (for the twist grip) was now required, and supplied without the earlier canvas outer........therefore the steel tube was listed post-war as "Throttle Twist-Grip Assembly, Complete" (presumably with the cable attachment flange fitted) as part number 32971............the rubber grip was additionally listed as part number 32923...................so it seems the throttle tube was allocated 32971 with the cable flange attached, even though the latter retained it's own part number of 29967 !!!! (and could be supplied separately)...............

The pumps fitted to my ML and Flea are minus stirrup and both genuine ex-WD...........they were found at a local autojumble NOS and several were there, both in olive drab and SCC No.2 brown so definitely ex-WW2..........they also fit on the bike a treat............but they are made of steel, not plastic or bakelite................no marks on them whatsoever either but ex-WD for certain..............

Some other Flea matters..................bikes built up to approximately mid/summer 1944 were finished in SCC No.2 brown.......after that, British Olive Drab.................

The WD Flea has one extra tooth on the rear wheel sprocket.............copies are available from Hitchcock's....................

Tyres as originally fitted were WD-marked Dunlop Universals in size 275 x 19..................

Two leather straps with buckles were used on each bike to secure the wiring........plus a few pliable steel/aluminium ties.........

Saddle was a "Mansfield" pattern as fitted to the James ML.........Mansfield badge on rear of saddle..............