10/30 TON DUMMY AXLE RECOVERY TRAILER

simon stolly

Phew, I'll sleep soundly tonight now I know that...

(:what:)

info intended for serious British MEDIUM recovery :evil:

Been in the pub Si? :-D

Just going!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

His Grumpy-ness and Militant Graham can rest easy now :sleep:

:computerterror:

Have you got your Char-Wagon yet??

The next facet of "must know info" is;

A Bedford MJ 4 tonne 4x4 fitted with winch, can exert a maximum pull on the bottom layer of the drum of 8 tonnes, before the winch overload device kicks in.

Which is stunningly impressive by it's self.

But if this was the only vehicle you had available, could you pull a dead Centurion MBT (est UVW 50 ton) up and over the rear wheel arch of a tank transporter trailer to unload it?

Yes! that old chestnut,

Well, in the interest of science, dangerous pursuit and desperation, aided of course with a couple of snatch blocks and some ground anchors, we're going to find out and put this age old mystery to bed for good!

Hopefully photos will be made available, wish us luck I think, we're going to need it........

Stay tuned for the next gripping installment of; "Only Civvies Playing at it"

Mission accomplished!!! :banana: :banana:

Reme re-enactors strike again!!!

You can unload a dead Cent with a 4 ton Bedford,

2 big snatch blocks, alot of chains and shackles, a 10 ton 360 digger (to anchor to) and a clean set of under- crackers! :shake:

So another British classic comes to rust, sorry I mean rest in Kens field.

He's got some strange and rare things in that there field, I even saw a Mad Cow in a skirt! Moooo!! :schocked:

• 2 months later...

You can't recover a Ballast box Antar on a rear end lift with a dummy axle. The mudguards foul the Dummy Axle wheels on turns. You can recover an Artic Antar on a rear end lift but the Antar Back Axle wheels have to come of because of the same reason.

And an Antars lifting Jib or davit won,t lift a wheel high enough to get it into the ballast box. It can only lift a wheel about 6" higher than the spare wheel stowage position behind the Ballast Box...

An Antar wheel weighs 5Cwt, Even a team of squaddies would have to work hard to get four onto the top of the ballast body!

I have only seen pictures of Dummy trailer recovering Antar when it has been used behind another Antar. I have seen pictures of Antars being recovered by EKA Crusaders on a front end lift, but although it may have been done I have never seen A Militant recovering an Antar...

It was more normal to recover an Antar by use of a Tow bar behind another antar, and for this reason dummy half shaft caps were provided so that the outer road wheels could be remounted after the half shafts were pulled.

It was more normal to recover an Antar by use of a Tow bar behind another antar,

We are about to set forth to collect Simons Mk3 Militant using Grumpys Militant and the recovery dolly. It seems there is no info on the web about using these and having used one a Kemble we were debating the need to remove wheels to allow extra steering movement?

width=640 height=480http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Poptopshed/DSC00057.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=800http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Poptopshed/DSC00054.jpg[/img]

• 2 weeks later...