Tony B

Loose battery clamps

Question

I am being plauged by battery clamps working loose. So far I've tried things like pusing aluminium cake base into the gap, and bits of bean tin. Can anyone suggest a reliable method of solving this?

18 answers to this question

If the clamps fit correctly then putting things in the gap will only make it worse.  Are the clamps the correct ones, undistorted and clean, ditto the battery posts?

Andy

Yes, they are the correct clamps , battery etc. Trouble is the Correct Clamps are the new cone shaped clamp ones. They just dont seem to hold on the posts. 

Just a thought, but do both terminals work loose or just one?

Andy

The negative is the one giving problems. Unfortunatley it is also clamped on to the main cable with no slack to cut and replace.

As the positive post is larger than the negative I was wondering if someone had fitted the wrong clamp on the negative lead at some stage. 

There are pukka battery post shims available if you haven't already tried them, eBay item 362003348190 is an example.

Andy

You mention that there is not enough slack in the cable to replace the clamp, could the problem be a lack of 'give' in the cable as the battery vibrates and moves while you are driving?

trevor

Could well be only happens ocasionaly, bloody annoying.  Andy, I changed the positive clip myself, try and get a two cable clamp. :S ended up have to get one on line. The negative clip is original. 

Mike, no , new one on me, what is the stuff?

AHAA! Thanks Andy, just looked on e bay. That was the sort of thing I was looking for. Renault used to have them on all there vehicles with a screw on top for the connection. :thanx:

Edited by Tony B

If you get a new battery cable, BE SURE and do not run to a car parts place and get one of theirs. The ones there are a #6 which is for 12 vt. A 6vt should be at the least a single 0, or double 0 is better. Half the voltage, is twice the amps.

This is why a lot of 6vt systems will not work right.

Yeah, don't I know!xD No, this one is on the Discovery plain 12 volt. My 6 volt Katy has double cables on both sides , just to make sure. I'm going to order some of the battery caps. Like Mar's bars, battery posts seemed bigger when I were lad.

I used to have pos and neg molds then using a jump lead and a carbon rod melt some lead making a new post. Using power from the battery

The problem lies with the split in the clamp. As it's been tightened over time when the top bolt is tight, both halves butt upto each other, but the clamp is still slack. Remove the clamp bolt and run a slitting disc through the groove to make it wider, reassemble and tighten up.

And make sure there's enough thread on the clamp bolt to get it nice and tight. I had one like this that wouldn't clamp, and it turned out to be that someone had put a bolt in whose thread didn't go far enough.   

Marvin, Negative, opened gap replaced checked thread clearance, and touching anything wood he can find, no further problems. :thanx: