New Format

ruston

I am a 79 yr old MV enthusiast and not that computer literate. However, with the old site I could browse the new posts down the side of the page and click on the ones that were of interest to me and ignore the others. Now ,when I look to browse the new posts on the updated format I can only see about six posts and have to scroll down to see if there any that are of interest to me. Is it me not doing something right ?  At the moment I feel like kicking it in touch.

• Like 1

The best I can see is this:

Click the big HMVF main logo graphic top left

At the top right of the white background below the search box, you should see Unread Content

Click this and the topics with content you have not read will be listed.

The default list order is newest first but you can change that to oldest first. The right hand item of the boxes just above the first item is Sorting. Change this to oldest first. Initially for me nothing happened until I pressed key F5 (top row of keyboard) to reload / refresh the page.

At the bottom of the list is Load More Activity

Eventually you will have the last updated topic at the bottom of the page.

The other boxes in the row above the first listed topic have selection / filtering options I have not investigated.

For each topic you can go to the first entry you have not read by clicking the small green dot between the larger coloured circle containing either a letter ( default) or the profile image if the thread starter has uploaded one to their profile and the title of the topic.

This function is not obvious at all. I discovered it by accident when randomly the mouse pointer was hovering over the dot.

This is just what I have found. Maybe someone else will detail other options that will help both of us.

The best I can see is this:

Click the big HMVF main logo graphic top left

At the top right of the white background below the search box, you should see Unread Content

Click this and the topics with content you have not read will be listed.

The default list order is newest first but you can change that to oldest first. The right hand item of the boxes just above the first item is Sorting. Change this to oldest first. Initially for me nothing happened until I pressed key F5 (top row of keyboard) to reload / refresh the page.

At the bottom of the list is Load More Activity

Eventually you will have the last updated topic at the bottom of the page.

The other boxes in the row above the first listed topic have selection / filtering options I have not investigated.

For each topic you can go to the first entry you have not read by clicking the small green dot between the larger coloured circle containing either a letter ( default) or the profile image if the thread starter has uploaded one to their profile and the title of the topic.

This function is not obvious at all. I discovered it by accident when randomly the mouse pointer was hovering over the dot.

This is just what I have found. Maybe someone else will detail other options that will help both of us.

I tried to edit the second entry to the text below but on clicking Save it changed to Saving but the edit was never saved - a gremlin to be investigated?

On my screen the first reply did not appear to be accepted hence I tried again.

My screen did not change.

I pressed F5 to reload / refresh the page and found two posts.

Hence I have edited the second to this.

Generally needing to use F5 may be a gremlin to be investigated and resolved.

11 hours ago, ruston said:

I am a 79 yr old MV enthusiast and not that computer literate. However, with the old site I could browse the new posts down the side of the page and click on the ones that were of interest to me and ignore the others. Now ,when I look to browse the new posts on the updated format I can only see about six posts and have to scroll down to see if there any that are of interest to me. Is it me not doing something right ?  At the moment I feel like kicking it in touch.

At the top left in the tabs you can find the "NEW POSTS" button, that will show you all unread posts.

The originator is  'ruston' as he states quite aged.  I am just weeks off 67 yrs.  so I understand.  The problem is that the 'youth' who can be over 50 yrs. consider a ink monitor to be a warning that their printer tank(s) are low.  They don't realize how difficult IT is for people who ran home in the 1950's to tell their mum that they had been promoted to class ink monitor (I may add that I never recieved further promotion ever - I had to change jobs several times to get any £ rise , however never top $  ).  They need to wash out 40 porcelain pots and the pourer can at the end of every term..

Anton

Really sorry to hear that guys and understand that change is sometimes a pain in the backside. HMVF has been here since 2005 and throughout those years we have naturally have made many changes. This is because the software/tech becomes outdated - so if we don't make the changes then the forum no longer works. 

Evolution of the forum has always happened and will always happen and sadly there is nothing we can do about that if we want to keep the forum open, alive and up to date. I know it can be very frustrating at the beginning but please hang in there as you will be missed!!

My kind regards,

Jack.

• Thanks 1
  • Up 1

I wasn't very happy on day one with the new forum but I have found that with use my feelings towards it are improving.

If you give the new forum a go, hopefully as you become more familiar with the forum, it will become easier and therefore enjoyable to use.

• Like 1
  • Up 1

As Jack says the forum has gone through a number of changes over the years and the initial reaction of most people has been against the change but after a while you forget what the old system was like. There are bound to be hiccups at first but to be fair to Joris he has listened to members comments and reacted where necessary and this at what must have been a very stressful time for him. Thanks Joris. If an old computer illiterate fuddy duddy like me can adapt to the changes I'm sure anyone can. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Up 1

4 hours ago, MatchFuzee said:

I wasn't very happy on day one with the new forum but I have found that with use my feelings towards it are improving.

If you give the new forum a go, hopefully as you become more familiar with the forum, it will become easier and therefore enjoyable to use.

I also wasn't too happy on day one but I find it's getting easier to navigate around the forum day by day 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jerrykins said:

I quite agree this 'improvement' is retrograde. It is great shame. The old adage of if it ain't broke don't fix it applies here. Jerry

The thing is, it was broken and needed fixing. We had no choice.

• Up 2

It will work Joris, and we all do appreciate what you, Jack and the other moderators do. The forum is an invaluable asset for anyone, anywhere with an interest in military vehicles, and wider aspects of military history. The free disscusion  encouraged here is a bit of a two edged sword for you though,  people do feel comfortable enough here to have the odd grumble. Your work is not in vain (Besides, whilst were grumbling here, we are leaving some other poor sod alone who can't cope with it) :thanx:

• Like 3

All I will say is from the stand point of someone who could not run a web site of any shape or form I am immensely thankful for those who can and do....... like most club related actives it can be a thankless task...... so once again well done chaps thank you for your considerable efforts.

Pete 

Edited by Pete Ashby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Speaking as a forum Admin and IT support guy I can tell you that it is a hugely thankless task keeping these things running. More often than not the Admins are well aware of issues that the end-user is not aware us and in some cases it's a case of holding on and hoping it doesn't go bang before you can get to fix it properly, (surely anyone who has ever had to jury-rig an engine just to get home will sympathise with that). The problem with forums is if they go bang, getting them back is easy (just a quick case of re-installing everything from scratch), getting all the data back is the hard bit. Reaching for your regular back-ups only to find that they too are corrupt is something every IT support Engineer dreads...it is what keeps us up a t night!

Sometimes upgrading the software is something that is forced upon us by the forward march of progress. Recently my own forum stopped working and whenever a user posted something all that appeared was an empty post. It soon became obvious that, overnight, the company hosting the forum had upgraded the underlying database software (MySQL) and another essential web component (PHP) to the very latest versions, (they do these upgrades for security reasons, to keep out hackers and those who would embed viruses). Sadly, our Forum software does not work with these new upgrades and so we are being forced to upgrade before we were ready to do so. We now have to make a decision if we stay with the forum software we are using, which was what was being used here before the upgrade, or go another route to keep with the times and to give folks the feature requests they want. I don't know about here but I keep getting asked if I can add 'LIKE' buttons to threads. I can't and the software doesn't allow for it but the newest version does; it's just a case of whether I'm prepared to pay for that or not, especially when paying for the hosting costs is already a burden. 

Nobody likes change, (all of us here are here precisely because we like the old ways) but sometimes change is forced upon us, for whatever reason, and we just have to learn to deal with it. I appreciate that it gets harder as one gets older (I'm in my mid 50's now and beginning to get very set in my ways) but it is what it is and we need to learn to adjust. You just need to remember that we all come here for the content, the camaraderie and shared enthusiasm for all things historic, military and vehicular... the manner, or format, in which it is presented is less important. Just my two pfennigs! 

Edited by Old Git
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Up 1

On 16 October 2017 at 12:04 AM, Lauren Child said:

Have you spotted the "condensed" button - it makes it easier to scroll through and pick out the interesting posts.

Nice catch Lauren, condensed button makes scrolling through much easier

I agree, did not like it at first, I also hate change, but it's growing on me. When you open a post it is easier to read now...a sign of my eyes going? Now I sit back and actually look at it creating or replying to a post appears much clearer.

would be shame to lose any older members, it's tough with IT at the best of times, but I implore them to stick with it for all our sakes! Change can be good, keeps our minds active, and something to moan about 9_9