Daf 4x4

Wendelspanswick

Hi, my name is John and after surviving 50 years on this planet I am going to treat myself and buy a Leyland DAF 4x4.

I own a woodland and meadow perched on top of the Quantock Hills accessed by a long and steep track and a DAF would be ideal for transporting stuff up and down.

Ideally I'd like one with sides and canvas and the truck itself to be in reasonably good order, annoyingly the dealers selling them seem to be at least a 3 hour journey away with Hamptons in Newcastle Under Lyme and Longton 2012 in Stoke On Trent looking to be the closest place to Somerset.

Anyone own one on here, pitfalls to look out for?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I find the Bedford MJ a better 4x4. Look up MOD Sales/ Whithams on the net and you should find Dafs being auctioned off. You will have to visit before bidding to be sure its a good one, all have one careful owner.

Regards Mick

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mick, I have recently acquired a DAF which seems a quantum leap in terms of driveability, certainly compared with the Morris MRA1 and Commer Q4 and Bedford MK. I would be interested to know why you rate the MJ above the DAF as I have heard that comment from others. My big problem is the height of the beast as I cant get it in my shed. I hadn't appreciated that the cargo body is mounted on large spacers/mounts on top of the chassis frame which adds about 4 inches to the overall height.

Doug

aHi Doug

I passed my driving test on a 1953 Commer with a crash gearbox and love two types of vehicle, big and slow or small and fast (P6 Rover manual V8). When the Daf came into service we were told not to use it as a tow/recovery truck off road as we used the MK/MJ, as the chassic can bend. For mud plucking and off road work the MJ beat the Daf hands down. The Daf I considered to be a road vehicle and gave a better ride than the MJ, going into location off road give me an MJ any time. The other factor is the MJ had bar grip tyres and not road type tyres as the Daf. 

Have Fun and if you are new to trucks, remember the steer you back wheels.

Mick

1953 Commer.jpg

On 10/11/2017 at 8:01 PM, DINGODOUG said:

Hi Mick, I have recently acquired a DAF which seems a quantum leap in terms of driveability, certainly compared with the Morris MRA1 and Commer Q4 and Bedford MK. I would be interested to know why you rate the MJ above the DAF as I have heard that comment from others. My big problem is the height of the beast as I cant get it in my shed. I hadn't appreciated that the cargo body is mounted on large spacers/mounts on top of the chassis frame which adds about 4 inches to the overall height.

Doug

I got my DAF about a month ago and I'm really chuffed with it, its in good condition with everything working apart from:

The horn - Turned out to be a corroded spade on the horn itself.

Cab tilt alarm sounded as soon as I went off-road - Had to adjust the lockdown switch position.

Diff lock light not illuminating - Blown dash bulb.

There is some rust in the side rails by the rear mudflaps but it's an easy repair.

The speedo works but not the odometer, its weird as it looks like it's missing, it should be a small LCD display in the main speedo but looking closely in the window where it should be you can see the back pcb of the speedo.

I could also do with a new top canvas.

It's fun driving it off road, its already pulled my van out when I got it stuck on my track in the mud.

Overall height of mine is 11' 6" according to the cab display, that's with frame and canvas.

20171018_100750.jpg

20171018_143326.jpg

• Up 1