Sabre clansman question

Ronsandt

Just wondering if anyone knows about the connections for a cvrt sabre clansman 353 radio? I have no power to radio was wondering if their was a radio fuse or if their was a wire connection not hooked up. I know the one wire that goes into the fron of the torrent control Panel isn't screwed in ! Any help I'll be going up to it this week , need to get intercoms working. Was at a show and had a guy from radio club set up all the gear but didn't know about wiring ect in the tank part thanks Ron in p.a

I imagine what you need to look for is the EMER COMMUNICATIONS INSTALLATIONS E100-E109 which is the general FV100 series section (& includes E102 - FV102 Striker)

Sabre is not specified but the series is further detailed in:

E040 - FV107 Scimitar

E150 - FV103 Spartan

E200 - FV104 Samaritan

E250 - FV105 Sultan

E300 - FV106 Samson

• 1 month later...

Assuming a radio is healthy the test switch can be turned to the "28V SPLY" position to confirm on the meter that there is a power input even if the radio is switched off.  I am not familiar with the CVRT installations but usually the radios in harness have at least 4 connections:

1) A 2 pin power lead from the DC input socket to a "LT Box" with anything from 1 to 15 2 pin power sockets - this will in turn be fed from a switchboard or direct from the battery. The 353 unlike the 321 does not have a user accessible input fuse but relies on the fuse in the LT box (I find a lot of LT boxes have blown fuses or have been robbed of fuses, as they come from Withams) . PTS Norfolk aka GTEN98 on E-Bay has the full range of fuses if that's all it is.

2) An audio connection from the "Harness" socket on the radio to a radio port on the "Interface Box" (IB2 or IB3)

3) A coaxial BNC cable to the ARFAT box

4) A control cable from the large ANT/ARFAT socket to the ARFAT box

As Bazz noted, with Clansman, unlike some older AFV radios, the intercom amplifier is in the Interface box so intercom works with no radios connected. All that "should" be necessary for intercom to work is power to the interface box and a ring of 12 pin harness cables linking all of the crew boxes to each other and the interface box.

|---CB2---CB2---IB2---CB2---CB2---|
|                                 |
|------DB-----------COMMANDER-----|
                         |
                        CPU

(This example is a 2 radio system with too many crew boxes)

It is also important to match the type of headgear and interface / crew boxes - the boxes should either be all gold fronted (new ANR boxes) or all black fronted (original). The black pressil boxes for the headset push to talk are used with the original type and the green pressil boxes are used with the ANR type (I think ANR are backward compatible with original but not 100% sure)

Regards

Iain

Ron,

I assume you have turret batteries connected and the turret master switch is on? The turret electrical installation isn’t too complicated so there shouldn’t be much wrong.

Take some photos of the turret, boxes, RBJ etc and post them here. I’ll see if you’re missing something obvious.

Chris 

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have power to the 28V socket on that yellow-fronted IB3 box in the last photo?  Switching the box on and off should give you a slight click in the headphones.

I also see that the harness cable on the right of the box seems to be plugged into the ACTIC socket instead of the one marked HARNESS.

Andy

1 hour ago, Ronsandt said:

I believe the power goes in the top one on left? Where due I get a power cable?

No, bottom right underneath the fuses.  It's marked "28V" and there seems to be a black cable already connected, check to see if it has power on it.

Andy

Perhaps a brief description of the IB3 would be helpful?

There are two sockets on each side, marked ACTIC and HARNESS.  The ACTIC ones aren't used in the Sabre and should not have anything plugged into them.  The HARNESS ones have cables that daisy-chain through the other Clansman boxes such as the Commander's box you've already mentioned.  You seem to have a cable in the ACTIC socket on the right-hand side - move it to the HARNESS socket below it instead.

On the bottom of the IB3 there are four sockets marked A Set, B Set, C Set and 28V.  A Set and B Set go to the two radios.  C Set isn't used in the Sabre.  28V carries the power to the IB3.  I can see from the last photo that A Set, B Set and 28V have cables as expected.  Check that the cable plugged into  28V has power on it.  If it does, then when plugged back in, you should hear a click in the headphones if you switch the IB3 on and off.

Andy

Firstly do you have batteries in the turret basket battery boxes? Are they charged and connected? Is the turret power switch on? Do the interior lights come on?

If the answers are all yes, unplug the power cable from the bottom of the IB3 and use a multimeter to check you have 24-28volts.

Take the incorrectly positioned 12 way plug out the attic socket on the IB3 and plug it in to the one below it. Turn the IB3 on.

Do you have a green pressel box and a headset? You need to plug this into the CB2 next to the turret fuse box. Set the top knobs to ICA and live IC. You should be able to press the pressel box and hear yourself in the headset.

Ok we turn on the main switch, both batteries are good. No lights come on only when I start vehical due they come on. The I only checked power to the radio. The two lower right cables supply the power, but the radio is dead nothing happens. I don't know if anything else in torrent works or is even hooked up i.e. No main gun smoke launchers ect. I will check and due as you described above on sat. Thanks I'll get back to you 

• 5 months later...

We’ll I just found out my turrent switch is bad. But have a question on more harness wiring. The pic shows the wire that comes out of the IC box behind gunners night sight. Wire goes down to the bottom of the turrent basket..but I disconnected it. The wire that was in wrong on previous pic is now connected to the box. Also the IC box for the driver goes down under turrent basket. Anyone now how their run ?

9CC6F9A0-A7C0-4241-B0BE-9E44C71BD45B.jpeg

Ok here is the pic of the box behind the gunners night sight. The cable going in it is from the gunners box along side the fuse panel. Now on the far side their was a cable but that was the one that is in the pic that went down to the turrent basket. But the cable that went over to the commanders box was laying their so we plugged that one in. But from what your saying that weNt to the drivers box. So we’re does the cable connect over to the commanders box. The one that was in the arctic connection.? Thanks 

A2EE3A74-F587-43D2-8A99-F219803AEB94.jpeg