Cvrt starter problem

Ronsandt

Ok just received my new saber and after 3rd time starting it goes clunk. The drive comes out but not spinning. So last I moved it it sounded like something was loose in motor area and when parked smelled something . Is it poss the starter stayed engaged and burned up? I don't have a manual yet ,I was going to try starting it buy direct wire just to see . Any help?

Yes, it could happed that the starter could stay engaged and get cooked.

If it's the same an my CVR(T) starter, it's a motor with a spring-loaded centrifugal gear rather than a separate solenoid to engage the drive. As such, the motor spins at least a tiny bit to get the gear in mesh. I had a situation with a seized motor where the starter would engage the gear and then stall, if you kept it engaged it would surely gotten hot enough to smell. Can you turn the motor with a prybar OK? Can you turn the starter by hand?

You just need earth (-) and power (+ )on the end terminals and something should happen!

Make sure you can turn the engine over by using a bar on the ring gear. One time we had the fuel pump fill all the cylinders up with petrol and the starter went clunk , so I thought it sounded like it was trying to hydraulic ( Fuel pump was at fault ), so took a spark plug out and petrol shot 10 foot in the air, that was a surprise! Also if the starter sticks on, the problem lies with the relay in the distribution box next to the instrument panel , the manual says bang it with your hand to allow it to become unstuck, until proper investigation. Another little tip is to just earth out the thermal breaker wire that runs to the starter. This will stop future problems when you have the decks bolted down and the machine will not start because this has tripped out. I suspect this feature was only put in to stop military personal holding the starter on too long and burning something out. Cheers Andrew.

Motor turns over by hand, due you mean the little wire that goes to the back side of the starter? Just put that to the neg on the back of the starter poss pic please? Thanks for your help. I was also told that if one battery is bad that can make a starter stick on too? Definitely don't won't it to happen again. I was supposed to get a take out motor which would of had a spare starter but they accidentally gave me a new motor but no carb or starter . Only wanted the take out for spares , so I also didn't get the mans yet he forgot them won't have for a couple weeks.

As I said , if starter does not work, it could be a faulty relay in the distribution box, you may well have a fault with the starter itself, so your bench test should give some indication and yes the little wire at the back, ( the thermal trip ) just connect to the earth terminal at the back of the starter and this should bypass this particular operation. As far as batteries go you should be able to check your voltage on individual batteries with a voltmeter, and because of 24volt you just have to make sure terminals are very tight otherwise you can melt the battery post off if loose, also make sure the batteries are connected the right way around, if they are wrong the red light on top of the distribution box will illuminate even when the master switch is off, ( this is just going by memory, and I could stand to be corrected ) Cheers Andrew.

Edited by Andrew Rowe

• 1 month later...