1944 Morris C8 / Landrover 2.25 petrol engine conversion.

Ian L

Old 9" Land-Rover flywheel binned & new 9 I/2" Land-Rover flywheel fitted. The 9 7/8" Austin Shearline clutch friction plate had to be taken down 3/8" in diameter to fit under the pressure plate so its now pretty close to the outer ring of rivets.

z16.png

z17.png

z18.png

z19.png

z20.png

z21.png

Engine fitted back into the chassis utilising the original rear Morris gearbox chassis brackets & the fabricated front brackets, no cutting or welding of the original vehicle was required & only a few holes drilled in the chassis for the front mounts.

z23.png

z24.jpg

z25.jpg

z27.jpg

z28.jpg

OK play resumed, knocked up this with a mate using just a Pillar Drill as that's all we had, its the remote oil filter adapter as there is not enough room between the engine & chassis to fit the original & the clutch pedal fouled it.  

z30.jpg

z31.jpg

z32.jpg

z33.jpg

z34.jpg

z35.jpg

The only place to fit the remote oil filter was the top L/H side of the engine utilising the engine lifting eye position on the front of the head.

Once painted green it should look a bit like the Jeep position, I think the copper oils pipes give the engine an older appearance ?

z40.png

z41.png

z42.png

z43.png

• Like 2

Almost finished fabricating the new radiator fan cowl,  I've fitted it over the top of the original & cut out a much smaller hole which lines up with fan but I've not made the circular part yet as I'm not entirely happy with my idea.

DSC07955.JPG

DSC07956.JPG

DSC07957.JPG

Luckily the radiator top hose junction is a bolt on type rather than soldered on so I was able to fabricate a straight 35mm junction which lines up with the Land-rover thermostat housing rather than the origional 2" angled unit that I've removed.

DSC07958.JPG

DSC07959.JPG

DSC07960.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the days making the new inside cab engine panels today, photos to follow ASAP.

The carburettor has been a problem getting it to fit under the bulkhead but have finally managed it today by machining 5mm off the insulator block & about 10mm+ off the alloy adapter plate, it now looks a lot better with a WW2 Jeep airhorn fitted on top with about 8mm clearance above.

z7.jpg

z6.jpg

z5.jpg

z1.jpg

z2.jpg

z4.jpg

z3.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Ok with the engine done (photos to follow ASAP) I decided to tidy up the front end bodywork.

The front axle & brakes have been overhauled before paint stripping & repainting, the grill & bonnet panels have had shot blasted & then I welded up all the rotten edges & straighten before painting. (sorry about the poor photos but she's in a dark barn)

I've removed the front right side wing as its a bit bashed up.

UPDATES TO FOLLOW SOON. 

DSC02533.JPG

DSC02532.JPG

DSC02531.JPG

DSC02535.JPG

DSC02526.JPG

DSC02528.JPG

DSC02529.JPG

DSC02530.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, samc88 said:

Really interesting conversion. Just in case you didn't get an answer its a 3 bearing (5 bearing has strengthening ribs on the block above the sump)

I think the 2nd engine I fitted is 5 bearing ? I will have a look.