Sign in to follow this  
simon king

170ah batteries - Bedford MWR

The complete station list for Bedford MWRs listed on WFTW Vol 2 (page WS19-38/39) suggests that MWRs used operationally by armoured formations were supplied with 2 or 4 170ah batteries rather than the expected 100/120ah batteries.

Can't seem to find any photos of these batteries. Can anybody suggest where I might be able to find some references for them. I'm not even sure if they had wooden or metal cases.

Thanks

The complete station list for Bedford MWRs listed on WFTW Vol 2 (page WS19-38/39) suggests that MWRs used operationally by armoured formations were supplied with 2 or 4 170ah batteries rather than the expected 100/120ah batteries.

Can't seem to find any photos of these batteries. Can anybody suggest where I might be able to find some references for them. I'm not even sure if they had wooden or metal cases.

Thanks

Wireless for the Warrior Volume 2 has them listed in Appendix 9, with a small drawing of a wooden cased battery.

Someone recently posted a photograph to the WS19 group asking for identification of a battery box, and that was a pressed-steel 6V 170AH dated 1945, so they are presumably late/post WW2 manufacture. (The ones I have are dated in the 1950s, I think.)

Be warned: they weigh 99 pounds unfilled so are easily a hundredweight apiece when in service.:wow:

Chris.