1/2" BSF nuts

Andrew Rowe

I am looking for a couple of hundred 1/2" BSF nuts in the "old spec". These measure about 53/64th across the flat x 29/64th thick, they are flat on one side and a slight chamfer on the edge of the other side. I know there are plenty of Chinese copies out there , but I want this style for a special purpose. If you anyone can advise me, send me a PM, Thanks Andrew.

Andrew,

I expect that I would have a few in stock. However, I think that the best way would be to have that quantity machined from hex bar on a capstan or CNC lathe. They could be made on an ordinary centre lathe. I would imagine that the economics are quite similar for any of the three ways. You would have to think about the material. EN1A free machining would be the easiest to use but might not be strong enough. Hex bar of the right size across flats would be available but I doubt that there would be much choice about grade of steel. If hex bar of the right grade cannot be obtained then the correct size could be milled down from the next hex size down from a suitable and available material.

I hope that this is helpful.

John

Here is a picture of the little critters, Cheers Andrew.