adam best

chieftain AVRE

just purchased a chieftain AVRE hopefully it'll be at the great dorset steam fair this year with any luck if anyone wants to come see

Congratulations! Do you know much about its history or in service life?

john

Is it a Clegg or Willich version?

The Clegg version is an old gun tank with a plate welded on where the turret should be, some i beam above the crew compartment to support facines and a rough and ready winch mounted upstairs. Whereas the Willich was a properly designed new veh that was luxury compared to the older versions.

Here is a photo of me operating it in July 2014.

She looks a lot better for a clean up etc.

Good to see you still have the road reg !

Well done !

AVRE.jpg

It's one of the Willich AVREs as we called them. The first veh specifically designed to do the job. Much better than its predecessor. Looked after an Armd Engr Troop with 3 of these as well as 3 AVLB and some Spartan Recce Vets.

I was at Willich when they were being made by 21 Engineer Base Workshops, I remember them being queued up outside their sheds. A Staff Sergeant Dave Williams was one of the big noises keeping all the lads welding.

​the plan is to convert it back to a mbt in time

But it was never an MBT in the first place as I understand it?

Andy

Just so happens one of the lads who built them lives 5 mins from me and told me all about them and what was involved in building them. They made twelve of these and there are supposedly only four left. we have two, one is at chatham, and i think the other is languishing in Withams yard.

Willich.jpg

For those who were there at the time, Stephen Bursi (on left) Ted Dixon (in drivers) i can't remember the lad on the rights name, but i can find out if necessary.

yeah mine was a mbt got all the history with it

that's a totally different conversion to what mine is that willich one

I was at Willich when they were being made by 21 Engineer Base Workshops, I remember them being queued up outside their sheds. A Staff Sergeant Dave Williams was one of the big noises keeping all the lads welding.

I have some photos of exactly what you are talking about, there are a few lads on the pic, you could be one of them, i will try to find them, watch this space.

yeah mine was a mbt got all the history with it

that's a totally different conversion to what mine is that willich one

I'm sure yours is a Sankey conversion, not Willich.

I have some photos of exactly what you are talking about, there are a few lads on the pic, you could be one of them, i will try to find them, watch this space.

I had nothing to do with building them, just happened to be there. That said, I should be able to put names to the guys who were doing them