chieftain AVRE

adam best

• 1 month later...

Is it a Clegg or Willich version?

The Clegg version is an old gun tank with a plate welded on where the turret should be, some i beam above the crew compartment to support facines and a rough and ready winch mounted upstairs. Whereas the Willich was a properly designed new veh that was luxury compared to the older versions.

I was at Willich when they were being made by 21 Engineer Base Workshops, I remember them being queued up outside their sheds. A Staff Sergeant Dave Williams was one of the big noises keeping all the lads welding.

I have some photos of exactly what you are talking about, there are a few lads on the pic, you could be one of them, i will try to find them, watch this space.

I have some photos of exactly what you are talking about, there are a few lads on the pic, you could be one of them, i will try to find them, watch this space.

I had nothing to do with building them, just happened to be there. That said, I should be able to put names to the guys who were doing them