Pass plate and holder

ColinR

Would anyone have details on the plate / holder (the one fitted with 'PASS' on this vehicle) and when it was in use? I've seen various cmp's fitted with them but i also noticed it on the Bedford QLT's in the film 'millions like us'.

Was it short lived? Was it used on British vehicles or just a few cases?

Any info would be appreciated. 20170729_152331.jpg

Would anyone have details on the plate / holder (the one fitted with 'PASS' on this vehicle) and when it was in use? I've seen various cmp's fitted with them but i also noticed it on the Bedford QLT's in the film 'millions like us'.

Was it short lived? Was it used on British vehicles or just a few cases?

Any info would be appreciated. attachment.php?attachmentid=127805&stc=1

PASS plates are mention in the booklet MILITARY VEHICLE MARKINGS Part 2 Tactical signs & National Identification Marks by Terence Wise a BELLONA publication priced 75-pence so not new mentions a plate measuring 9-1/2” high by 8-1/2” wide. Unit signs on one side with PASS in white on a Khaki background on the other saying to be shown whenever a vehicle is halted or broken down, or for any other reason not affecting other road users. It say’s in many cases the practice was simplified by painting the unit markings directly on the vehicle in the prescribed area as the PASS side was used infrequently. The holders for this plate were intended to be fitted to all British vehicles at time of manufacture but at what point they began to disappear is open to debate

Depending on the reference source used; either Sep 41 (Warpaint Vol 3 - Dick Taylor) or Apr 42 (British Military Markings - P Hodges & M Taylor) although it would appear that RASC troop carrying vehicles did not loose their PASS Plates until the publication of Amendment 4 to Vehicle Markings 1942 dated 2 Dec 1942.

I posted this excerpt from Vehicle markings 1942 on the FB page yesterday but things disappear so quickly there ! Probably vehicles in service before about the end of 1941 ought to have them and later deliveries not, but I bet it wasn't that clear cut...

IMG_6459A.jpg

Depending on the reference source used; either Sep 41 (Warpaint Vol 3 - Dick Taylor) or Apr 42 (British Military Markings - P Hodges & M Taylor) although it would appear that RASC troop carrying vehicles did not loose their PASS Plates until the publication of Amendment 4 to Vehicle Markings 1942 dated 2 Dec 1942.

So do I make the assumption that the footage in 'millions like us' would be stock footage?

It was released end of '43.

• 2 months later...
On 7/31/2017 at 8:35 AM, RAFMT said:

So is this what you are doing with your time now Colin?

Hope i get to see the finished product.

Well this and filling out tribunal paperwork ready for the case against the museum :-)

Yes i'm sure you will see her and I haven't forgotten about your bits ;-)

13 hours ago, Lauren Child said:

Where did you find the copy of Vehicle Markings?  Is it a personal copy or one from a museum archive?

abebooks.co.uk

Search for military vehicle markings and both are still available for about £25 including postage.