DAF YA126 - advice needed

MiketheBike

Question

I am thinking of a new MV, and very much like the look of a DAF YA126. Saw one in action at W&P the other year (with some crazy Dutch guys) and was very impressed.

What are people's opinions on these trucks? Are the practical (very subjective...relatively practical is probably a better phrase). Good and bad points. Spares availability?

Better to get one from Netherlands and import?

Many Thanks

Mick

Regarding Robins truck for sale, would it not be a better option to consider it? I'm sure it would be easier to import and UK register, as vehicles are imported frequently from Ireland into Northern Ireland and re-registered with the DVA.

Although the radio body is nice, I want to look at GS types first. I would also like to get one that is as complete as possible....doors etc.

I have doors and tops ,I put the door bottoms on both doors prior to setting off ,and keep a bit of heat in the cab ,the door tops are snd perspex and have gone a bit blurry ,I prefer driving with just the door bottoms in .there are also boards in the rear that can be moved to fill in the void between the 2 sides ,I slept on a 6ft single bed ,very snug .

On 8/15/2017 at 3:59 AM, robin33ba07 said:

I took the Daf on a run up north last weekend to Lough Neigh ,473 km door to door ,no problems the brakes are as bad as I remember ,just allow a bit more in front of you ,l think I got 13mpg but dont hold me to that

Are the bad brakes from design or maintenance? 

On 7/13/2017 at 1:59 PM, MiketheBike said:

I am thinking of a new MV, and very much like the look of a DAF YA126. Saw one in action at W&P the other year (with some crazy Dutch guys) and was very impressed.

What are people's opinions on these trucks? Are the practical (very subjective...relatively practical is probably a better phrase). Good and bad points. Spares availability?

Better to get one from Netherlands and import?

Many Thanks

Mick

Did you ever get a DAF? 

get the brakes right and away you go ,mileage will hurt a bit but you will get over that ,there was one for sale in Ireland on Donedeal ,there was also one on Milweb a while ago ,parts are easily got in Holland ,the membership of the Ya 126 club is a must ,best of luck 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 4:54 AM, David Herbert said:

Yes, the extra weight is an unwanted side effect that reduces mobility, ride quality, tire life, fuel economy, and wheel bearing life. Much better for us to have a spare wheel and a jack !

David

David, how do you get the fluid out of tire? 

Is it fluid ?

If it is fluid you take the tire off, take the tube out squeeze out what you can through the valve hole and put it all back together.

If it is foam filled with semi rigid foam to make it properly bullet proof you can't get it out, although I suppose that it might be possible to cut the foam filled tube out of the tire in small pieces but I think you might loose the will to live. I would use the tire until it is worn out and throw it away.

David