DAF YA126 - advice needed

MiketheBike

Question

I am thinking of a new MV, and very much like the look of a DAF YA126. Saw one in action at W&P the other year (with some crazy Dutch guys) and was very impressed.

What are people's opinions on these trucks? Are the practical (very subjective...relatively practical is probably a better phrase). Good and bad points. Spares availability?

Better to get one from Netherlands and import?

Many Thanks

Mick

My brother had a YA some years back which I got to drive a couple of times . It was a very nice little truck - somewhat reminiscent of a Dodge to drive and with the Hercules engine sounded a bit like one too ! Spares could very occasionally be a pain but I think he normally managed to get most things he needed from Wildenberg . The rubbers in the suspension took a while to turn up and were not cheap but you don't need to renew them too often . The transmission is interesting with the four driveshafts but it all works well and the whole thing was a very interesting and much underrated truck , plenty of room in the back for all the gear you need at a show . The hard bodied radio version would be really nice if you came across one but I certainly wouldn't dismiss a canvas bodied one . Just make sure , whichever one you go for , that it's got all it's bits with it - there's been one for sale recently which appeared to be short of a wheel and you really do need that centre third wheel . Big bruv only sold his because he also had a SUMB and one or other had to go otherwise it would probably still be around here .

hello there ,I think its my Daf snowtacdave is referring 2 posts back ,I have a Daf Ya126 for sale in Ireland ,the add on Milweb has just expired

http://www.milweb.net/webvert/a2330

I have this missing spare wheel ,I have had loads of jobs done and I am currently waiting on new plugs ,plug leads ,distributor cap ,rotor arm and a few small bits that should have the Daf running sweetly .Mike the bike if you are interested please contact me and we can have a talk regards Robin

Hope you didn't think I was being discourteous Robin , sorry you've not sold yours yet , it looks like a nice truck .

Mike , I forgot to say - if you are going to War & Peace , go and have a chat with The Warhorses Dutch group - their guys usually have two or three YA's at the show & will be happy to show you round them . Several of theirs have been converted to LPG which they say is a worthwhile investment .

Thanks robin, it will be a little while yet, and I think from your area code you are in Galway? That may be a little too far for me.

i think I may have already spoke with those Dutch guys, and it was them that got me interested....they were total nutters, in the best possible way :)

A long time ago I had one (from 1957) for several years. It was my first military vehicle and I loved it.

In no particular order:

It is very sturdy and is overengineered.

It is rather slow, maximum speed is somewhere between 70 and 80 kilometers/hour but closer to 70 than to 80 I think.

Therefore a different and relaxing experience on the motorway. No one to overtake.

It doesn't offer great visibility around you.

The windscreen can be folded down, the doors can be lifted out and the soft top can be removed, one big fun convertible!

It is surprisingly good off-road.

I like the looks of it (still do).

I found the seats comfortable for what they are.

Not many Dutch designed and built vehicles around.

Lots of room in the back and the planks can be arranged to give a completely flat cargo bed.

Doesn't have good fuel economy.

Go for it!

Daniel

Hopefully see you at war and peace and if you have an idea of what you want I can speak to my friend in The Netherlands to see what is about,as there is a better choice over there,if you could get them with power steering I would of gone for one,I especially like the radio body ones.I can think of a good home for the Ferret 😀😀😀😀😀.

See you soon Simon

Thanks daniel

sounds perfect! Will be looking at one at tanks trucks and firepower hopefully, need to convince someone I have to also keep the ferret for investment purposes :)

mick

Hi Mick,

Had a look and found 4 for sale here in the Netherlands.

These two sites are good sites to keep an eye on.

https://www.generaaltjes.nl/Advertentie/12583/daf-ya-126-radiowagen

https://www.generaaltjes.nl/Advertentie/12636/te-koop-daf-ya-126-radiowagen

https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1149210149

https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1180148526

Daniel

Thanks Daniel, that UN one looks very complete, doors etc :)

Hopefully see you at war and peace and if you have an idea of what you want I can speak to my friend in The Netherlands to see what is about,as there is a better choice over there,if you could get them with power steering I would of gone for one,I especially like the radio body ones.I can think of a good home for the Ferret 😀😀😀😀😀.

See you soon Simon

Hi Simon,

unfortunately will not be at W&P, we are away. Will be at tanks and trucks though.

Next question.

has anyone here imported one from Holland to uk? How easy and ballpark how much cost is involved. Can I just drive one back and then register it once in uk? What would I need to set in place to get it across the channel? Any advice on getting it registered?

cheers

mick

That depends on what you can arrange with the seller. The best option would be to trailer it back to the UK, since the seller has to turn the registration plates in as proof the vehicle has been exported. You can get Dutch export plates, but I don't know if those are valid in the UK (and Belgium or France if you choose that route). You can insure export plates though.

If the seller cooperates you could drive it back on the Dutch registration and under the seller's insurance and then send the registration plates back to the seller once you reached home, but that implies a great deal of trust.

I would look around in the UK first.

hello Mike my Daf is still for sale outside Dublin ,running like a clock ,new leads ,plugs ,dizzy cap ,rotor arm ,condenser ,up hills and down hills its more expensive that the ones for sale in Holland but all the jobs are done including tyres .My daf is running great for the first time in a long time ,if it dos not sell I wont be unhappy ,I wont be putting it on Milweb for the foreseeable future

That depends on what you can arrange with the seller. The best option would be to trailer it back to the UK, since the seller has to turn the registration plates in as proof the vehicle has been exported. You can get Dutch export plates, but I don't know if those are valid in the UK (and Belgium or France if you choose that route). You can insure export plates though.

If the seller cooperates you could drive it back on the Dutch registration and under the seller's insurance and then send the registration plates back to the seller once you reached home, but that implies a great deal of trust.

I would look around in the UK first.

Thanks for that, I was hoping it would have been easier :(

maybe I could get seller to delver this side and the sort out transport at this end....again, need a VERY friendly seller :)

They have a high fuel consumption. I can help you find one, I life near Arnhem

I have a ferret, fuel consumption does not scare me 😁

I am hopefully viewing one at tanks and trucks, so may have a better idea of what I am looking for after that, thanks for the offer, may take you up on it.

mick