Wear Your Poppy With Pride

If anyone needs reminding. This is the bottom of Hooge crater on the Somme, 90 years on human remains a re still being found. The leagcy of war is still with us. It is fashionable to sneer at those who serve in the military. Our current forces have the same disipline and courage as those who have gone before , and still suffer the same pain.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone needs reminding. This is the bottom of Hooge crater on the Somme, 90 years on human remains a re still being found. The leagcy of war is still with us. It is fashionable to sneer at those who serve in the military. Our current forces have the same disipline and courage as those who have gone before , and still suffer the same pain.

Well Said.

This thread has to be the benchmark that sets this forum light years ahead of all the others. Thank you fellow forum members.

Now, putting on my RBL Poppy Collectors hat.

With world events of recent years, the work and support that the Poppy Appeal funds is sadly growing almost on a daily basis and as such I feel that the Poppy, as a symbol of our rememberance and support is perhaps more important today than it has ever been. In this fast moving and fickle world that we live in, it is a bold & visible statement that we remember and that we care.

Why not contact your local Legion branch and offer to collect for the appeal, whether it be for a couple of hours or a day or more with your vehicle. Whatever time you can afford to give, I can assure you from personal experience will be gratefully received.

I for one will wear my Poppy with pride.

I've recently approached local (eastbourne) branch RBL with a view of getting our group (and vehicles) involved in the poppy appeal.

Whilst the person I spoke with was 'all for it', after some inital skeptisism..........I do feel there didn't seem to be any help with the approaching the council, etc, for various permissions needed to place vehicles in spots favourable to their existing sellers.

Whilst I don't expect it to be all done for me, the offer of some 'official', help would have been appreciated.

Andy

Around our area I'm glad to say a lot of supermarkets are only to willing to allow the vehicles into their car parks for collecting.

You are lucky. In the Reading area they don't want to know about MVs helping with the Poppy appeal.

Tony, the reason we are made so welcome locally is because a certain person has approached the store managers personally and then followed it up with a letter. After the collection they receive an official RBL card letting them know how much was collected at their site and a follow up visit and letter of personal thanks.

I also know that they get very good customer feedback.

Lee Enfield. From experience I can tell you that quite a lot of Poppy Appeal organisers are older, sometimes set in their ways and afraid of upsetting their long standing collectors, I also know that they are run off their feet at this time of year. So why not take the bull by the horns and make your own approach to a local store manager or an edge of town shopping area for permission to collect on their plot, particularly if you know of somewhere that isn't already covered?

Hopefully when Jack wakes up :whistle: there will be something that he will post up for us collectors that we (Bodge) have been working on behind the scenes for a while now.

Sorry guys - I am here now and will be done this morning!

Lee Enfield. From experience I can tell you that quite a lot of Poppy Appeal organisers are older, sometimes set in their ways and afraid of upsetting their long standing collectors, I also know that they are run off their feet at this time of year. So why not take the bull by the horns and make your own approach to a local store manager or an edge of town shopping area for permission to collect on their plot, particularly if you know of somewhere that isn't already covered?

:-) Was thinking along those lines.

Cheers.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Ok gents

I have been a little (BIG) let down from the RBL organiser in Leysdown in that he does not want to get of his bum and send through all the buckets and collecters cards etc. for the collection that we was going to do on rememberance sunday, is there anyone in the Maidstone area that has already got a point where they are collecting that would want someone else with an MV to help, I am determined to do this as I have said in my letter but I am being stopped at the initail stages through some lazy person who is the RBL man on the island, do they want this or not????

Anyone please help in this?

Ok gents

I have been a little (BIG) let down from the RBL organiser in Leysdown in that he does not want to get of his bum and send through all the buckets and collecters cards etc. for the collection that we was going to do on rememberance sunday, is there anyone in the Maidstone area that has already got a point where they are collecting that would want someone else with an MV to help, I am determined to do this as I have said in my letter but I am being stopped at the initail stages through some lazy person who is the RBL man on the island, do they want this or not????

Anyone please help in this?

Sorry to hear this, Mark.

Not having much luck over here, (eastbourne) either. :-(

Think we will end up 'tagging' on to a parade, and standing with vehicles, in RESPECTS, at the eleventh hour.

Will NOT be in this position next year.

All the best,

Andy

This problem has come up previously on the forum, my advice would be to contact the chairman (person?) of RBL branches in your area. I did this a few years ago and it led to a very good relationship with one branch although I was very rudely rebuffed by one of the others.

Operation Poppy Appeal kicks off tomorrow, mid morning at Waitrose in Biggin Hill. We'll be there at weekends, most evenings and outside the Blackhorse pub on Sunday the 11/11/07 next to the War Memorial.

Any and all are welcome to join us.

LEST WE FORGET.

Nice One, mate. :tup:

An update to give you cheer. I was talking to our village florist, whilst ordering some flowers, about the Haig Fund and the wearing of the poppy. She has come up with a brilliant compromise.

On Remembrance Sunday I shall be wearing a buttonhole, made of three fresh poppy flowers, entwined with bay leaves and a little gyp.

Thank you Grandad, who fell 17th June 1941, firefighting in The Blitz.

Thank you Uncle Roy, pilot, bomber command, shot down, September 1942.

I will never forget you.